Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone Have a Homemade Stuffing Recipe?

1. Regular Member

Anyone Have a Homemade Stuffing Recipe?

Advertisements
    This is going to be my first time really cooking a Thanksgiving meal, and I've only ever made that cheap-o Stove Top stuffing crap. I really want to go all-out and make a big batch of homemade stuffing this year (I really, really love stuffing). Does anyone have a simply delicious recipe they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have one I use every year but, unfortunately, we don't have our household goods yet so I won't have the cookbook it's in for another two weeks. I can tell you, however, that I buy the stove top/bags of stuffing and use that as my stuffing bread base but that's all. Carrots, celery, apples, cranberries, pecans.....butter, a lot of butter ....but I don't remember measurements or cooking times or anything.
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    I have one I use every year but, unfortunately, we don't have our household goods yet so I won't have the cookbook it's in for another two weeks. I can tell you, however, that I buy the stove top/bags of stuffing and use that as my stuffing bread base but that's all. Carrots, celery, apples, cranberries, pecans.....butter, a lot of butter ....but I don't remember measurements or cooking times or anything.
    Are you really Paula Deen?

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I tear up a loaf of bread the night before and let it sit in a roasting pan to go stale, you can crisp it in the oven if you need it in a hurry. I cook 1lb of jimmy dean sausage, dice up an onion and about 5-6 stalks of celery and toss those in with the sausage. season with salt, pepper and bells poultry seasoning. cook til veggies are soft. mix that in with the bread by hand, crack an egg and a splash of milk too. If you're mixing a lot and it's still dry add a bit more milk until it's moist. You can throw dried cranberries in too if you like.
  5. Senior Member
    Sage Sausage Stuffing

Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
    1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Sage Pork Sausage Roll
    1½ cups chopped celery
    1 large onion, chopped
    ¾ cup chopped or coarsely grated carrots
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons dried rosemary 1 pkg. (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 pkg. (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 bag (14 ounces) cubed herb seasoned stuffing mix
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook sausage, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary in large stockpot over MEDIUM-HIGH heat for 8 minutes. Add spinach and mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
    2.Add stuffing mix, chicken broth, black pepper and egg; mix just until blended.
    3.Spoon into lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish; cover with foil.
    4.Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until thoroughly (160°F).
    Cook’s Tips:
    If you don’t have a stockpot, cook the sausage, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary in a large skillet. Add spinach and mushroom; cook as directed. Pour over stuffing mix in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix just until blended. Bake as directed.

If you prefer a crisper stuffing, remove foil for the last 15 minutes of the baking time.

Yield
    12 servings (1 cup each)
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideBaby View Post
    Are you really Paula Deen?
    Only on major holidays
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I use a few bags of stuffing from the Commy. I fry up all beef little sausages, onion, celery, carrot (whatever I feel like it.) After that is fried, I add the stuffing in it. Add an egg and enough broth to make it like soggy cereal. Then bake it until slightly crunchy.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxka View Post
    Sage Sausage Stuffing

Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
    1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Sage Pork Sausage Roll
    1½ cups chopped celery
    1 large onion, chopped
    ¾ cup chopped or coarsely grated carrots
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons dried rosemary 1 pkg. (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 pkg. (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 bag (14 ounces) cubed herb seasoned stuffing mix
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook sausage, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary in large stockpot over MEDIUM-HIGH heat for 8 minutes. Add spinach and mushrooms; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
    2.Add stuffing mix, chicken broth, black pepper and egg; mix just until blended.
    3.Spoon into lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish; cover with foil.
    4.Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until thoroughly (160°F).
    Cook’s Tips:
    If you don’t have a stockpot, cook the sausage, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and rosemary in a large skillet. Add spinach and mushroom; cook as directed. Pour over stuffing mix in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix just until blended. Bake as directed.

If you prefer a crisper stuffing, remove foil for the last 15 minutes of the baking time.

Yield
    12 servings (1 cup each)
    I think this one will be a winner in our house! All I have to do it take out the mushroom. DB has a thing about eating fungi (he won't). Haha. These all sound quite delicious, though. I may have to make a couple of different recipes just for the heck of it! Thanks!!
  9. Senior Member
    This is similar to the one that has been in our family for years. Grandma's Corn Bread Dressing Recipe - Allrecipes.com I had to look it up as there really isn't a recipe for our family lol. We just add until we know its right. Our is dressing instead of stuffing though.