Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hard boiling an egg on a gas stove

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hard boiling an egg on a gas stove

Advertisements
    Ok so I had no idea where to put this- I don't frequent the Recipe boards that often, but lets pretend I'm making an egg salad.

So I recently moved into a friends house and she has a gas stove. I'm trying my best to adjust to it, but just realized I have NO idea how to hard boil an egg on it.For electric stoves, I just put the eggs in there, bring to a boil, put on medium and let them chill there for about 15 minutes then remove. Heck, I don't even know if thats the correct way to do it on an electric stove, but its never failed me.

So how do y'all boil them on gas stoves? Same concept? High/medium? Time? I also read some tips online that said bring to a crazy boil, then remove from stove and cover for 17 minutes. Then transfer them into icy water for 10 more minutes. So many different attempts.

So to all you hard boiled egg pros... lay it on me!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I grew up with a gas stove, and it was no different really than my electric one know (although I loveeeeeee gas and it took me a while to adjust to electric not being as adjustable). Anyway, I put them in the cold water and then on high until it boils. Then I cover and leave them for usually half an hour, just cause I forget or whatever. I basically use high for anything needing to boil though. There may be a better method that I don't know about.
  3. verabot89
    verabot89
    I do it same way on electric and gas.... start with cold water, with eggs in. Bring to a boil, and immediately turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 13 minutes. Then I take them out and put them in cool water but only so I can eat them sooner Perfect every time.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    I do it same way on electric and gas.... start with cold water, with eggs in. Bring to a boil, and immediately turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 13 minutes. Then I take them out and put them in cool water but only so I can eat them sooner Perfect every time.
    I do the same with my gas stove.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks guys!!!

I semi did that (yea, I posted this thread AFTER I already started). But I brought to a simmering light boil, left them there for about 15 minutes, took them off for about 5 and moved them to cold water.

We'll see how they are.... if anything, I made deviled eggs, right? lol
  6. Senior Member
    I just made some yesterday. I bring the water up to a rolling boil and cut it off and cover. I let them sit for 17 mins and then plunge them into ice water. They come out perfect everytime.