Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown rice...help!

1. Senior Member

Help Brown rice...help!

Advertisements
    I hate brown rice...but it's healthy...and I don't have any white rice at the moment anyhow.

What can I add to it that will make it taste better? I already intend on adding beef bouillon to it...but is there anything else? Any spices you would recommend?

Also, is there a way to make the consistency softer? It's so much tougher than white rice when I make it.
  2. Senior Member
    What brand are you using? I've found the Minute brand of brown rice to be the best.

And I'd say add butter, but that defeats the purpose.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    il Mio cuore il tuo per sempre
    I always add a touch of lemon juice, garlic, and some black pepper.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    What brand are you using? I've found the Minute brand of brown rice to be the best.

And I'd say add butter, but that defeats the purpose.
    I tried butter...wanted to gag!

I typically put butter and natures seasoning on white rice...so I made it like that...I couldn't get past two bites.
  5. Senior Member
    You can add Mrs Dash. You can also add more liquid and cook it longer to get a softer consistency. I like it with vegetables in it. If I don't want to chop them myself I just get the frozen mixed vegetables and cook those.

You can get the Instant brown rice but you will be losing the fiber that has all the nutrients that the regular brown rice has which makes it not much better for you than white rice.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I find that myself and my family likes it best when I substitute about a tablespoon of malt vinegar for a tablespoon of the water when cooking. I have no idea what it does, but I think it taste better.
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    You can add Mrs Dash. You can also add more liquid and cook it longer to get a softer consistency. I like it with vegetables in it. If I don't want to chop them myself I just get the frozen mixed vegetables and cook those.

You can get the Instant brown rice but you will be losing the fiber that has all the nutrients that the regular brown rice has which makes it not much better for you than white rice.
    When I first made the switch I would always put a little grated parmesan cheese on it. Now I love it just by itself
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Maybe a little soy sauce?

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Senior Member
    duluth mn...it's a great city on a great lake!
    If you want to eat brown rice instead of white rice all the time you could start out with half white half brown rice until you get used to the texture and taste difference...

In the summer i make a salad with brown rice, feta, golden raisins, chopped fresh spinach, maybe a little rwd onion if i have it or red pepper and maybe chickpeas with a little lemon juice and evoo its super filling but not in a i feel gross kind of way if that makes any sense.
  10. Senior Member
    brown rice takes twice the amount of time to cook then white rice, so try put more water to get the same consistency. When I make brown rice I just add chopped garlic and some salt before I cook the rice (I fry the garlic and salt on the butter or olive oil)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast