5 cups uncooked penne pasta (16 oz)
    cup butter or margarine
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4-1/2 cups milk
    1 cup shredded provolone cheese (4 oz)
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
    cup shredded Parmesan cheese (not the grated kind in the can)
    cup shredded fontina cheese (2 oz)
    1/3 cup fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    1 cup panko bread crumbs (the Japanese kind)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt cup butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With wire whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta and parsley into cheese sauce. Pour mixture into baking dish.

In 6-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; stir in bread crumbs. Cook and stir until crumbs are golden brown. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.

Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups each)

This is a good mixture of cheeses for a killer mac. If you wanted, you could cut the different cheeses and use 2-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, but the other cheeses add good flavor (especially provolone).

A 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven is a large pot with a lid (the kind I make turkey soup or boil noodles in)

I always add chicken bouillon to the water when I make pasta or rice. It adds an interesting flavor. For a large pot of noodles, I drop in about 5 chicken bouillon cubes.
  2. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I am soooo trying this! I dunno if I can find those specific bread crumbs at our Commy? Can I use Italian?

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I am soooo trying this! I dunno if I can find those specific bread crumbs at our Commy? Can I use Italian?
    Your commissary probably has those bread crumbs. They'd be in the Asian foods section. They're a little bigger and drier, and they're usually used for tempura or things like that. Describing them, I'd say they look like the little shards of plate when you drop a Corelle platter on a ceramic tile floor. ;-)

If not the commissary, try an Asian or Oriental grocery. I don't think Italian crumbs would work as well because the size, taste and texture are completely different. But hey, use what ya got, and maybe you'll come up with a different recipe!
  4. A Beautiful Mistake
    A Beautiful Mistake
    That sound sooooooo yummy!!! LOL but if one eats that.. wow.. they better not eat for the rest of the day!! All that ooooie gooieeeeee nummy n the tummy cheese!! YUM!
  5. Senior Member
    That sounds so delicious
  6. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Fact: bears eat beets.
    That sounds amazing...
  7. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Your commissary probably has those bread crumbs. They'd be in the Asian foods section. They're a little bigger and drier, and they're usually used for tempura or things like that. Describing them, I'd say they look like the little shards of plate when you drop a Corelle platter on a ceramic tile floor. ;-)

If not the commissary, try an Asian or Oriental grocery. I don't think Italian crumbs would work as well because the size, taste and texture are completely different. But hey, use what ya got, and maybe you'll come up with a different recipe!
    I live in Italy and our commy is pretty dang small, but I will check. We have a tiny asian food section, hopefully it will be there.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

8. .:I(L)You:.Those 3 Words Have My Life In Them
    .:I(L)You:.Those 3 Words Have My Life In Them
    this sounds so yummy... mmmm

IMy Baby Boy!
  9. My Airman is kind of a big deal!
    My Airman is kind of a big deal!
    Yummy! It's hard to go wrong with cheese and pasta.