Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Advertisements
    We are working with him and going through everything. His GPA is on the highest end. Not 4.0; but, 3.8. He works very hard at it. I've tried to teach him to cook this summer (he is 13) and he is so scared and can't focus at times, it was hard. He is also very small. He is just 73 pounds. he is working on learning how to mow lawns, work with his dad with tools. Trying to teach him skills that will help him like cleaning bathrooms, sinks, ect.

I just feel at times I've failed him. I caused this. It is easier to know there are others out there. Just not in our area and our circle.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    We are working with him and going through everything. His GPA is on the highest end. Not 4.0; but, 3.8. He works very hard at it. I've tried to teach him to cook this summer (he is 13) and he is so scared and can't focus at times, it was hard. He is also very small. He is just 73 pounds. he is working on learning how to mow lawns, work with his dad with tools. Trying to teach him skills that will help him like cleaning bathrooms, sinks, ect.

I just feel at times I've failed him. I caused this. It is easier to know there are others out there. Just not in our area and our circle.
    You haven’t caused this. You haven’t failed him.

Thirteen is still so young - I’ve met plenty of thirteen year olds (and even older) who get flustered in the kitchen, or don’t know how to use tools very well, or who can’t talk to girls. He’s learning. He’s clearly an intelligent boy, for all that his brain is wired a little differently, and he’s willing to work hard. He’ll get there. It may take him a little longer, he might need more guidance and help than most and he may take a roundabout route to get there...but he’s only thirteen. He has time.

As for being small, does it worry him? If not, why should it worry you? As long as he likes his body, then everything else is optional. Men come in all shapes and sizes.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    You haven’t caused this. You haven’t failed him.

Thirteen is still so young - I’ve met plenty of thirteen year olds (and even older) who get flustered in the kitchen, or don’t know how to use tools very well, or who can’t talk to girls. He’s learning. He’s clearly an intelligent boy, for all that his brain is wired a little differently, and he’s willing to work hard. He’ll get there. It may take him a little longer, he might need more guidance and help than most and he may take a roundabout route to get there...but he’s only thirteen. He has time.

As for being small, does it worry him? If not, why should it worry you? As long as he likes his body, then everything else is optional. Men come in all shapes and sizes.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I go in waves on worry. Some days, I see his future as bright. Others....it is hard.
    I saw a video on facebook today from an autistic boy to his mom. It made me cry and I got hope. Then this...it was needed.

As for his body, explaining why he needs a cup for a karate tournament (if you catch my drift) was hard on both of us. haha Going into all the details without going into the details..ugh.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    You should never underestimate autism and those kids who's audience supports those realities to their life. I've coached and help guide guys who has wanted a fair share to their development of having kids, dating women and hoping to live like many others in society.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Update after Karate Tournament. He was happy to compete against someone that was like him he said. He got 4 1st place medals.

That is good.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12