Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Rent renewal questions

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    AshleyO's Avatar
    AshleyO is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,727
    #1

    Rent renewal questions

    Advertisements
    My lease expires in about 3 months and I'm feeling extremely anxious about it. How far in advance is it acceptable to ask my landlord about renewing? They've been renting this house for a long time, but property values in my neighborhood are skyrocketing. I don't think it's terribly unlikely that they'll raise rent which really wouldn't work for me. I'd like to know sooner rather than later because it's going to be really hard to find something else in my area.

    I Eelizah
  2. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #2
    I feel like I've moved so much lately that I'm a pro at this stuff I can ask my lawyer sister if you want too.

    Your current lease should have language about renewal/extension/expiration of your tenancy. If not, it's your legal right to ask your landlord, and at the same time you can ask them about renewing at the same rate. That way you can be prepared for worst case scenario if they decide not to. IIRC you are renting from an individual, not a company, right? I would assume that being proactive and wanting to stay there, and you being a good tenant, would both be helpful in your case.

    I'd also look up your local county/state laws to see if your landlord requires notice and how far in advance, just to be prepared since you're 90 days out from the lease ending. Where I am at now, I signed an additional addendum because they legally must give me 60 days notice before my lease ends and any price increase should I decide to renew. However, I've also lived in places where they don't remind you but it's still your responsibility to tell them 60 days out in writing that you plan to renew or leave.
  3. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #3
    It's never to early to renew. Landlords actually prefer early notices. It gives them piece of mind as well.
    If you're willing to sign a longer lease, 2 years let's say, you may get a better rate.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    CDNTrish's Avatar
    CDNTrish is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,435
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    My lease expires in about 3 months and I'm feeling extremely anxious about it. How far in advance is it acceptable to ask my landlord about renewing? They've been renting this house for a long time, but property values in my neighborhood are skyrocketing. I don't think it's terribly unlikely that they'll raise rent which really wouldn't work for me. I'd like to know sooner rather than later because it's going to be really hard to find something else in my area.
    A lot of it depends on the laws where you live. My province is 60 days notice to leave when you are in the first year of your lease, after the first year your rent becomes month-to-month. Landlords here are also not allowed to raise the rent more than 1.8% per year and must provide written notice to you at least 60 days prior to the end of your lease.

    Check local laws and bylaws.
  5. Senior Member
    sassyspoonicus's Avatar
    sassyspoonicus is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    302
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I feel like I've moved so much lately that I'm a pro at this stuff I can ask my lawyer sister if you want too.

    Your current lease should have language about renewal/extension/expiration of your tenancy. If not, it's your legal right to ask your landlord, and at the same time you can ask them about renewing at the same rate. That way you can be prepared for worst case scenario if they decide not to. IIRC you are renting from an individual, not a company, right? I would assume that being proactive and wanting to stay there, and you being a good tenant, would both be helpful in your case.

    I'd also look up your local county/state laws to see if your landlord requires notice and how far in advance, just to be prepared since you're 90 days out from the lease ending. Where I am at now, I signed an additional addendum because they legally must give me 60 days notice before my lease ends and any price increase should I decide to renew. However, I've also lived in places where they don't remind you but it's still your responsibility to tell them 60 days out in writing that you plan to renew or leave.


    Ours has an entire clause for it, and I believe all of our lease contracts have had a renewal/expiration timeline spelled out within the contract. Otherwise, check your local laws (city/county/state) to see what is required by the landlord and the tenant. Generally they're happier the earlier you ask - if they already know you want to renew, they won't have to advertise that rental and go through all that hassle. Usually there's a local law that requires some amount of notice before any rates change, IIRC it's 60 days by us. However, our lease spells out a 90 day notice for that. All except one of our leases also required us to notify of renewal, not the landlord. The exception we had is where we're at right now - it's set to auto renew on a monthly basis after the first year, and we have to give 60 day notice of termination.

    The worst they can do if you ask now is say that they're going to increase the rates. It would be a little weird for them to not know only 90 days out. We've rented from both companies and individuals, and it seemed that companies were way more likely to raise the rates - all the individuals we've rented from are happy to keep things as is if they have tenants they like and can trust. My dad rents out a couple houses, and I know he will move the earth if it means he can keep a good tenant, which is what we've run into with our landlords as well.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    AshleyO's Avatar
    AshleyO is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,727
    #6
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I checked my lease and only 30 days notice is required. I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot them a message. I was trying not to seem pushy, but I really just want to know.

    I Eelizah
  7. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I checked my lease and only 30 days notice is required. I think I'm going to go ahead and shoot them a message. I was trying not to seem pushy, but I really just want to know.
    Its not pushy. Landlords would prefer as much advanced notice as possible. And they would always prefer to keep a tenant than take a risk on a new one.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •