Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fix my car?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Fix my car?

Advertisements
    My current car has some light damage to the back driver side bumper and front passenger side bumper from small wrecks I've been in. The damage is cosmetic, it doesn't effect the safety or drivability of the car at all.

I'm trying to decide if I should pay to have it fixed or not. Mostly for vanity, I hate driving around with an imperfect car LOL I just feel like I look sloppy

But also, I'm considering buying a new car in the next year, so if I go that route, does it then make sense to put money into fixing it, or should I just trade it in as is?!

Should I start by getting a quote to see what it would cost to fix it up?? halp me make adult decisions
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    0% a car expert here, will ask DB when he comes over at some point for his opinion (he used to buy cars for CarMax). If they're mostly cosmetic and don't actually cause any further damage, then I probably wouldn't do it unless you could get it done pretty cheap. Since I have a Honda I can find after-market parts for a fraction of the cost.

When I sold my old Civic, I got estimates from a few different shops to see what exactly was needed/necessary. Then when I went for a trade-in a month later, the dealer wouldn't be able to fuck me over by saying they needed to put some astronomical amount into the car to re-sell it. I've found that even though I know basically nothing about cars, if I can articulate details and do a little research and basically sound like I know what I'm talking about in terms of what the car needs to be driveable vs. sellable, they will be much more respectful and willing to negotiate on trade-in value.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    0% a car expert here, will ask DB when he comes over at some point for his opinion (he used to buy cars for CarMax). If they're mostly cosmetic and don't actually cause any further damage, then I probably wouldn't do it unless you could get it done pretty cheap. Since I have a Honda I can find after-market parts for a fraction of the cost.

When I sold my old Civic, I got estimates from a few different shops to see what exactly was needed/necessary. Then when I went for a trade-in a month later, the dealer wouldn't be able to fuck me over by saying they needed to put some astronomical amount into the car to re-sell it. I've found that even though I know basically nothing about cars, if I can articulate details and do a little research and basically sound like I know what I'm talking about in terms of what the car needs to be driveable vs. sellable, they will be much more respectful and willing to negotiate on trade-in value.
    Thanks for your input girl! Yea that’s a good idea to know what it would cost to fix it before I go in negotiating the trade in value!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post

Ooh that’s such a good idea
  5. Senior Member
    Are the dings super noticible? I don't remember seeing any on your car.

Husband got hit and had a pretty big dent on one finder. When we traded it in as-is they wound up giving us more than he had originally paid for the truck.

Unless it's big then I wouldn't bother fixing it. And I really like L's idea.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Are the dings super noticible? I don't remember seeing any on your car.

Husband got hit and had a pretty big dent on one finder. When we traded it in as-is they wound up giving us more than he had originally paid for the truck.

Unless it's big then I wouldn't bother fixing it. And I really like L's idea.
    They happened after you left LOL. I think I will just leave em and go with L's idea too