Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First station advice.

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

First station advice.

Advertisements
    My soldier is done with AIT soon and will be coming home before reporting to his first station and well finally be able to live together. For anyone that was newly married how was your experience with this?
    What should I expect?
    We’re you able to travel with him to his first station?
    How were you able to find a place whether you lived on base?
    Did you live off post? And if you did how we’re you able to find one?
    Any other tips I should know?
  2. Senior Member
    DH was not able to get leave to move me to his first duty station. We decided to live off base, and he found a place for rent through a realtor. After our year-long lease was up we decided to move on base.

You need to decide if you want to live on base or off. In some locations it is better to live on base, but it will really depend on your preference. Most bases will have some sort of wait for housing.

Have you scheduled your movers? You're in the height of PCS season.

3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

?

I donít even know what to do because my soldier said he might have to go down without me and then send for me because heís not allowed to own property before reporting to his station so we wouldnít be able to find an apartment. But idk this is what Iím confused about because shouldnít they be expecting him and his wife to be coming down?
    This is the first time Iíve ever done this.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Are you married or not? If not he may be required to live in barracks
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monseemona20 View Post
    I don’t even know what to do because my soldier said he might have to go down without me and then send for me because he’s not allowed to own property before reporting to his station so we wouldn’t be able to find an apartment. But idk this is what I’m confused about because shouldn’t they be expecting him and his wife to be coming down?
    This is the first time I’ve ever done this.
    Either I'm misunderstand you, you are misunderstanding him, or he's lying. There is nothing preventing a soldier from owning property anywhere at any time. "Owning" means actually owning, right??

If you want to live in military house (which may or may not be on an actual base), they will not assign him a house before he checks in. You arrive, you check in to a hotel for a few days, he goes to the housing office, and they will assign a house if one is available. (Some places have long waits, others no wait at all.) The base he is going to probably has as hotel on base, but that isn't always the cheapest option.

There is no "expecting him and his wife", if you think that means they are going to set aside a house for him before he arrives. Again, you show up, he goes in to housing, and you take it from there, if you want to live in military housing. If you don't, they ou find a private apartment on your own and move in, and your husband will get a housing allowance you can use to help pay for the rent.

But with any of these options, you could arrive when he does, if he wants you to. You just might be living in a hotel (on or off base) for a bit.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monseemona20 View Post
    I don’t even know what to do because my soldier said he might have to go down without me and then send for me because he’s not allowed to own property before reporting to his station so we wouldn’t be able to find an apartment. But idk this is what I’m confused about because shouldn’t they be expecting him and his wife to be coming down?
    This is the first time I’ve ever done this.
    He likely won't be able to help you move up. Have you been to DEERS, enrolled in Tricare, etc.? Once he's married he will get a housing allowance. If you decide to live off base then you need to find a place for rent within that allowance (you can Google BAH rates for your location based on zip code and rank). If you live on base then they will take all of your BAH in *most* (not all) cases.

The military isn't "expecting" him and his wife. Now that he's married and receives an allowance it is his responsibility to figure out his housing situation.

7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Communicating should never be a difficult task. DG tells me all the time about making sure we communicate well with each other before attempting to reach out with others. Anyhow, having some knowledge would be great for your soon to be husband and his arrangements after his first station.