Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Online Paralegal

1. Senior Member

Online Paralegal

Advertisements
    Has anyone done an online paralegal certificate program? I have a few colleges here in town that offers the certificate, but I physically have to go into the class room and I cant do that with DH being gone and having to take care of things with work and house.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Before you do that, talk to attorneys in your area and ask whether they really care about a certificate
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Before you do that, talk to attorneys in your area and ask whether they really care about a certificate
    I used to do paralegal when I lived in Kansas and they didn’t, but in the state I live in most want you to have one, and I think it would look better to have one regardless if it is required or not. IMO.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    I used to do paralegal when I lived in Kansas and they didn’t, but in the state I live in most want you to have one, and I think it would look better to have one regardless if it is required or not. IMO.
    If you worked as a paralegal, that's a lot more important. I know I would rather have experience (sadly, local experience is always going to top everything) than a certificate.

The only problem I would see with an online program is if it were a national program instead of a state one. The court systems and procedures are so different from state to state, it's shocking. If you do online, make sure they cover local.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Moderator

Like Guy said, I would talk to local attorneys first. My best friend is a paralegal. She had experience in Alabama. When she moved to South Carolina, she was hired based on experience. Later, her firm paid for her to get her certificate so she was covered under state and local.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Has anyone done an online paralegal certificate program? I have a few colleges here in town that offers the certificate, but I physically have to go into the class room and I cant do that with DH being gone and having to take care of things with work and house.
    I taught online paralegal classes at a well known online univ. and will say that students often have 2 concerns; 1) the costs of the online program; and 2) online education is more time consuming than most students expected. So be sure you look at those two things and are ok with the sacrifices.
    Lastly, be sure the school you pick is accredited and has no (current) plans to close before you complete the program.

I would consider where you want to work and then go talk to those people/that agency and see where they recruit from? For example --if they only hire from School X and you want to work there, you might want to enroll in School X.
    (You will love the education, it is really interesting to those that find the law fascinating as opposed to frustrating.)
    Hope that helps!