Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Thoughts on American Military University (AMU)

1. Senior Member

Thoughts on American Military University (AMU)

Advertisements
    Husband wants to go back to school, and he is considering AMU. I have some reservations about it because it is a for profit school and it sounds like a "degree mill".

What are your thoughts about that school? Does anyone have suggestions for good online colleges for an active-duty service member with a crazy work schedule?

2. Senior Member
    Nearly all of my courses at my school were available to take online, I'd check out regular colleges and see what they can offer in terms of that. Personally I would rather have a degree from a college without a reputation for being a degree mill.
  3. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

The husband is getting his bachelors doing online courses at Columbia Southern University.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nearly all of my courses at my school were available to take online, I'd check out regular colleges and see what they can offer in terms of that. Personally I would rather have a degree from a college without a reputation for being a degree mill.
    This exactly. As someone who hires, I made the mistake of hiring someone from a diploma mill and will never do it again.
  5. Senior Member
    To me, it would be a likely waste of time and money, unless I just needed a check in the "degree" box in order to qualify for a raise at work or something.

As someone who has reviewed resumes in the past, I'd consider a degree like that to be almost the same as no degree at all.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    There are plenty of not-for-profit online schools out there, he should check ASU, Thomas Edison State University, Purdue University global. Heck, even National University is non-profit.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    What about the big school down here in my town (trying to be vague lol)? They offer an extension campus up near you + online classes, and are known for being super military-friendly!
  8. Moderator

I got my associates through AMU. It wasn’t easy and almost all my classmates were active duty. It was also years ago and I had no idea it was a degree mill.

That said, I will get my bachelors through a different school.
  9. Regular Member
    A lot of the big universities and state schools offer online/weekend/night classes! My school personally has a program specifically for active duty service members who want to get an undergraduate or graduate degree. Always worth looking into if you want to avoid a for-profit school.

DB is an active duty pilot with an erratic flight schedule and he's been taking masters classes online from the local state university. It's definitely do-able and a lot of universities will work with him!