Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pros and Cons: on base housing or off post.

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Smile Pros and Cons: on base housing or off post.

Advertisements
    My soldier and I will be getting to our first station and we’re debating on whether to live on post or off post?
    What are the pros and cons of each? Which is better?
    How does getting 1st ever duty station process go?
    What do I need to know and what should I prepare for?
    How long after graduation (June) from AIT will he get his duty date and station?
  2. Senior Member
    Totally depends where you end up. Some people don't like living on base because it doesn't feel like you ever leave work, it's annoying to have visitors/you have to show your ID all the time to go home, I've heard some people say they don't like neighborhood gossip, etc. But it works out to be a lot cheaper in a lot of places, it feels like you have basically no bills to pay, and it's convenient to be close to everything. I guess some people probably also like that they instantly have something in common with their neighbors, but I'm a hermit and never even talked to my neighbors when we lived on base lol.

If he's lower enlisted, depending on where you end up you might not be able to afford anything better/there might not be anything better around. When my ex husband was stationed at Fort Polk we chose to live on base because everything around was disgusting, but when we were in Hawaii we rented and saved a bunch of money doing so. Then sometimes you'll run into an issue where housing has a long waitlist, so you'll have no choice but to rent. If you know where you're going, you can probably join a spouse group on facebook and get some answers from people who live there already.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monseemona20 View Post
    How long after graduation (June) from AIT will he get his duty date and station?
    He should find out his first duty station while in AIT and will be headed there right after AIT graduation. I mean unless he is taking leave, once he has graduated AIT there isn't a reason for him not to go to his duty station.
  4. Senior Member
    Definitely do a search for this topic as it has been covered many times. I personally can't imagine many scenarios where I would choose military housing. In general, it is a better deal financially the lower your rank and the larger your family.

Also, keep in mind that not all military housing is on a base. That may be a pro or a con, depending on what you value most. You don't have to deal with signing in guests, but you also don't have the sense of security some people get from being inside the gates.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    my soldier says he needs a sponsor before he can report to his station. Also we haven't gotten a date for him to report to and he was planning on coming home so he could pack some of his home stuff and to come for me.
  6. Senior Member
    A sponsor should be automatically assigned, but I've never heard of them not sending someone because they don't have a sponsor.

Report dates can often be pretty last minute, and there is a chance he will need to report immediately if they need him, and not be able to come home, and you'd have to move on your own. Hope for the best, but be prepared for that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

It's all personal preference. We like living on base and have done so for the past two bases. Renting off base at our next base is really expensive and we don't want to buy until he retires, so we'll be living on base again.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3