Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: how to stay motivated at work?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

how to stay motivated at work?

Advertisements
    Hey guys,
    So I recently moved and started a new job. I'm the director of social services in a nursing home. Same job I was doing before, but I went from a 190 bed facility down to a 90 bed facility. The resident population is also a bit more stable. Before, I had tons of discharges, residents with psych/dementia and behavioral issues. Honestly, I'm feeling bored and just not challenged in my new place. It's a slower work pace.

I have less work to do, but somehow I feel totally unmotivated. I feel like I'm on a spiral down sort of. I have less work, so I'm bored/unmotivated, which makes me almost do my job shittier -- idk if I'm wording this right?? Basically, my job is easier, and I'm getting worse at it because of that.

Also, because DB is re-enlisting, I know that this job isn't forever, (maybe 2 years max that I'll be here) so I feel like that's contributing to my overall "don't-give-a-fuck" feeling for this job/my overall performance.

I'll also add that this is not a norm for me. I love my field and my job and I intend to keep progressing into higher management.

If you all have any advice on how to get motivated again or find purpose in a boring job, it would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I recently moved and started a new job. I'm the director of social services in a nursing home. Same job I was doing before, but I went from a 190 bed facility down to a 90 bed facility. The resident population is also a bit more stable. Before, I had tons of discharges, residents with psych/dementia and behavioral issues. Honestly, I'm feeling bored and just not challenged in my new place. It's a slower work pace.

I have less work to do, but somehow I feel totally unmotivated. I feel like I'm on a spiral down sort of. I have less work, so I'm bored/unmotivated, which makes me almost do my job shittier -- idk if I'm wording this right?? Basically, my job is easier, and I'm getting worse at it because of that.

Also, because DB is re-enlisting, I know that this job isn't forever, (maybe 2 years max that I'll be here) so I feel like that's contributing to my overall "don't-give-a-fuck" feeling for this job/my overall performance.

I'll also add that this is not a norm for me. I love my field and my job and I intend to keep progressing into higher management.

If you all have any advice on how to get motivated again or find purpose in a boring job, it would be greatly appreciated!!
    I feel you! My job (that I'm leaving and getting that promotion/switch thing for) is not challenging. The nature of where I am is just very stagnant and I often end up bored too. I found that emailing my boss asking for more work was helpful but I also felt like I was a suck up I also asked for a lot of professional development and tried to find as many opportunities to present at meetings/conferences/workshops. If you could look up conferences/expos/events maybe you could ask for your boss to help you with attending or find some kind of continuing education to help you move towards higher management?

Or you could just binge watch ANTM on Hulu. There are like 19 cycles on there. Just sayin.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I feel you! My job (that I'm leaving and getting that promotion/switch thing for) is not challenging. The nature of where I am is just very stagnant and I often end up bored too. I found that emailing my boss asking for more work was helpful but I also felt like I was a suck up I also asked for a lot of professional development and tried to find as many opportunities to present at meetings/conferences/workshops. If you could look up conferences/expos/events maybe you could ask for your boss to help you with attending or find some kind of continuing education to help you move towards higher management?

Or you could just binge watch ANTM on Hulu. There are like 19 cycles on there. Just sayin.
    Good ideas! I think finding some conferences/continuing ed would keep me engaged more. I also think getting more involved and asking my boss for more projects to do would help. I have more potential than this job but because I'm bored I haven't felt inspired to push myself, it's like a vicious cycle haha. Thanks for the advice

I'll also incorporate ANTM as well, that's just good for the soul
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    Good ideas! I think finding some conferences/continuing ed would keep me engaged more. I also think getting more involved and asking my boss for more projects to do would help. I have more potential than this job but because I'm bored I haven't felt inspired to push myself, it's like a vicious cycle haha. Thanks for the advice

I'll also incorporate ANTM as well, that's just good for the soul