Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: FDS and possible deployment? Help!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

FDS and possible deployment? Help!

Advertisements
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for general advice and tips.
    My husband is almost done with AIT. He got his hard orders last night for Alaska. Today he told me a sergeant who is also going to Alaska told him that their units are probably going to deploy to Korea right after we get there. (I hope I'm not breaking any OPSEC rules mentioning all this)
    My questions are these, how reliable is this? It sounds like just word of mouth?
    We decided that he will go to our station in alaska first, that way if he does get deployed then me and my newborn son will stay home so I can be with family while he's gone. When he's done with deployment, will the army still help us move to our duty station? Or is that only if we immediately go to our station? I would really hate to be in Alaska so far away from everyone with a baby on my own.
    Any advice would be helpful!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany_reina View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for general advice and tips.
    My husband is almost done with AIT. He got his hard orders last night for Alaska. Today he told me a sergeant who is also going to Alaska told him that their units are probably going to deploy to Korea right after we get there. (I hope I'm not breaking any OPSEC rules mentioning all this)
    My questions are these, how reliable is this? It sounds like just word of mouth?
    We decided that he will go to our station in alaska first, that way if he does get deployed then me and my newborn son will stay home so I can be with family while he's gone. When he's done with deployment, will the army still help us move to our duty station? Or is that only if we immediately go to our station? I would really hate to be in Alaska so far away from everyone with a baby on my own.
    Any advice would be helpful!
    It could be a rumor or it could be true. Did they say when they are supposed to deploy (you don't need to put a date)? Also something to keep in mind is they don't always deploy the entire squadron / unit. Some people remain behind for all or part of the deployment.

When DH and I first PCSed to this base there were rumors of a deployment. It wound up taking a full year until they deployed, and plans changed a ton during that time (who was going, for how long, where they were going).

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    It could be a rumor or it could be true. Did they say when they are supposed to deploy (you don't need to put a date)? Also something to keep in mind is they don't always deploy the entire squadron / unit. Some people remain behind for all or part of the deployment.

When DH and I first PCSed to this base there were rumors of a deployment. It wound up taking a full year until they deployed, and plans changed a ton during that time (who was going, for how long, where they were going).
    He graduates in June and he said the sergeant said they would deploy in July. He said all units from Hawaii and Alaska would be getting deployed. (I hope that's not too much info either lol)

I don't think I would be so nervous if one, it wasn't happening so quickly, he hasn't met his son yet since he was born during training and two if we weren't going to Alaska, I heard the darkness can be bad for depression. I have no history of it but I also have a newborn and would have no family near me.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany_reina View Post
    He graduates in June and he said the sergeant said they would deploy in July. He said all units from Hawaii and Alaska would be getting deployed. (I hope that's not too much info either lol)

I don't think I would be so nervous if one, it wasn't happening so quickly, he hasn't met his son yet since he was born during training and two if we weren't going to Alaska, I heard the darkness can be bad for depression. I have no history of it but I also have a newborn and would have no family near me.
    Not ALL units at a base would be deployed at the same time. They're all on different deployment schedules. Your husband and his Sergeant could be going to the same base but not the same unit. Does that make sense?

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Not ALL units at a base would be deployed at the same time. They're all on different deployment schedules. Your husband and his Sergeant could be going to the same base but not the same unit. Does that make sense?
    Yes it does and makes me feel a little bit better lol thank you