Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Possible Deployment

  1. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #1

    Possible Deployment

    Advertisements
    DB has the opportunity to volunteer for a deployment to several Middle Eastern countries. For those that don't know he is currently in the reserves (USMC). In total it would probably be four months of active training in the states and then eight months oversees (one year total). He insists that I "be on board" with the decision but I'm struggling because I don't want him to go (totally selfish I know) and also because I don't think it even makes financial sense.

    So my question is, we know he will receive his base pay and BAH for where he lives. I read he should also get hostile fire/hazard at $225 a month. Is there anything I am missing? We aren't married (and he has no dependents) so none of those extra benefits will apply and he is a supply/logo MOS. Unfortunately/fortunately he earns a good living in his civilian job and he might be in a situation where he makes less money deployed. Let alone dealing with the separation, putting a hold on normal life, and losing traction in his actual career. Also, is there a part of the paycheck (base pay/BAH) that is tax free in a combat zone or the whole thing? His civilian job has a significant bonus program, so even that is hard to estimate.

    We at least want to know he isn't making a silly financial decision. But just talking with him over the last few days it comes out that he is getting closer to retirement and feels like he "hasn't done his part". How do I even respond to that without totally losing my cool and listing all of the sacrifices that he has made. I think I just don't get it but I really want to be supportive and helpful here. Thoughts?
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    rayfinkle's Avatar
    rayfinkle is offline
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18,537
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    DB has the opportunity to volunteer for a deployment to several Middle Eastern countries. For those that don't know he is currently in the reserves (USMC). In total it would probably be four months of active training in the states and then eight months oversees (one year total). He insists that I "be on board" with the decision but I'm struggling because I don't want him to go (totally selfish I know) and also because I don't think it even makes financial sense.

    So my question is, we know he will receive his base pay and BAH for where he lives. I read he should also get hostile fire/hazard at $225 a month. Is there anything I am missing? We aren't married (and he has no dependents) so none of those extra benefits will apply and he is a supply/logo MOS. Unfortunately/fortunately he earns a good living in his civilian job and he might be in a situation where he makes less money deployed. Let alone dealing with the separation, putting a hold on normal life, and losing traction in his actual career. Also, is there a part of the paycheck (base pay/BAH) that is tax free in a combat zone or the whole thing? His civilian job has a significant bonus program, so even that is hard to estimate.

    We at least want to know he isn't making a silly financial decision. But just talking with him over the last few days it comes out that he is getting closer to retirement and feels like he "hasn't done his part". How do I even respond to that without totally losing my cool and listing all of the sacrifices that he has made. I think I just don't get it but I really want to be supportive and helpful here. Thoughts?
    I am assuming he hasn't deployed before?


    life's a party, rock your body
  3. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #3
    If he feels like it's something he should do, is he going to have regrets if he doesn't do it?
  4. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I am assuming he hasn't deployed before?
    He deployed in 2005 for a little more than a year to Djibouti as a reservist. All of his years spent active he was stationed in Japan, and it would have been uncommon (not unheard) for his position to deploy from there. He isn't overwhelmingly happy in his civilian job right now, which I'm sure is leaning him toward volunteering. Chances have come up in the past but this is the first time I see him really considering. Of course, if no one volunteers he might just get sent.
  5. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    If he feels like it's something he should do, is he going to have regrets if he doesn't do it?
    Yea that's what I worry about or worse there is potential for him to resent me for giving him my opinion that sways his decision. I was honest and told him how I felt but I want him to take ownership over whatever decisions are made, ya know.
  6. Senior Member
    AMP1984's Avatar
    AMP1984 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    378
    #6
    DB's currently deployed - he was active duty then went reserves which he was when we met (so I never thought I'd have to deal with deployment) but he's currently deployed for a long time...everything he makes is tax free and he gets hazard pay too or whatever they call it.

    Something to consider about leaving the civilian job is that they have a right to re-employment and it's not just any job, it's like an upward mobility rule, they should be placed where they would be had they not been gone for the year (or however long) so if he was due for a raise/promotion when he returns they have to place him at that raise/promotion level. So that's neat.

    As far as non-monetary perks (which I guess are still monetary perks) - the amount of deployed time can increase the GI bill, it can result in awards/pins/promotions within the military which could long term increase retirement benefits...I mean there are positives but the downside is always going to be the separation.
  7. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post

    As far as non-monetary perks (which I guess are still monetary perks) - the amount of deployed time can increase the GI bill, it can result in awards/pins/promotions within the military which could long term increase retirement benefits...I mean there are positives but the downside is always going to be the separation.
    This is what I was thinking. Deployments always look good when it comes time for promotion, and that is what will ultimately affect his pension.

    As for being supportive...
    My husband plans on retiring. So we always discuss any difficult assignment, but we always decide it's worth it for the promotion and pension.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 04-11-2018 at 04:19 PM.




  8. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #8
    I would say it's worth it, and if he is going to be TOLD to go if he doesn't volunteer, maybe if he volunteers his attitude about it would be better than if you both decided against it, listed a thousand reasons why it would suck....and the he had to go anyway after deciding he didn't want to.
    If that makes sense.
  9. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #9
    The finances are definitely a consideration, but if he's motivated to serve, it may well be worth making the decision that doesn't come with the most money. Money isn't everything, and it sounds like in this case, it's a very small piece of the puzzle for him. So as long as he is aware of the financial implications and can live with them, that's not a line or argument I'd really pursue any further. (Do you guys share finances?)

    Base pay is tax-free *IF* he is in a situation that qualifies. Here's an article (non-official gov't source though) that explains it, and according to this, that hostile duty pay would also be tax free. So this is going to be a ~25% (very rough, since i don't know his actual tax rate, but you should be able to find that pretty easily since taxes are about due) increase. (I'm not sure if you also don't pay state income tax.)

    But again, if he is motivated because he wants the opportunity to serve more directly and with more instant impact, as long as this isn't going to drastically hurt the finances, it seems like those factors would be pretty important, too, and might be what you can cling to to help yourself be supportive.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    DB's currently deployed - he was active duty then went reserves which he was when we met (so I never thought I'd have to deal with deployment) but he's currently deployed for a long time...everything he makes is tax free and he gets hazard pay too or whatever they call it.

    Something to consider about leaving the civilian job is that they have a right to re-employment and it's not just any job, it's like an upward mobility rule, they should be placed where they would be had they not been gone for the year (or however long) so if he was due for a raise/promotion when he returns they have to place him at that raise/promotion level. So that's neat.

    As far as non-monetary perks (which I guess are still monetary perks) - the amount of deployed time can increase the GI bill, it can result in awards/pins/promotions within the military which could long term increase retirement benefits...I mean there are positives but the downside is always going to be the separation.
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Deployments always look good when it comes time for promotion, and that is what will ultimately affect his pension.

    As for being supportive...
    My husband plans on retiring. So we always discuss any difficult assignment, but we always decide it's worth it for the promotion and pension.
    Thanks for the advice. The retirement is the big thing he mentioned too. He is in the zone for promotion this year, if anything I think he is more concerned at being passed over twice and possibly being forced out at like 19 years. His fit reps are fine and it seems like he does a good job, so I think the chances of that happening are low, but you never know. And he does think this deployment will help get him to 20 years. Considering it is an all or nothing game, its a big deal for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •