Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Would you move?

1. Senior Member

Would you move?

Advertisements
    We got to this base one year ago. When DH gets back from deployment he will start working at a different base over an hour away. He *thinks* that he will be splitting time at both bases. The position will last 2 years. Do we even rate a PCS move if the other base is only 51 miles away?

The thing about the other base is it's in the middle of nowhere. The town we're currently at is a small military town, but it's a city compared to the other town.

If we stay, DH will have over an hour long commute half of which is on 2 lane farm roads. There are about 3 teeny tiny towns in between that we could maybe live in if they have rentals available. They would be about 30-40 minutes in either direction of each base.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 04-05-2018 at 08:59 PM.

2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Just move down here and live with me. Sure, the commute will be longer but can you imagine the dog + kitty playdates?

Real talk obviously I know nothing about PCS/moving drama but I know this part of the state really well due to work, so PM me if you want to chat!
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Moving is such a pain. What does your husband think? Would he mind the longer commute?
    If he will be at both bases, definitely not worth moving.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    I’d live where you’ll be happier outside of work.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Just move down here and live with me. Sure, the commute will be longer but can you imagine the dog + kitty playdates?

Real talk obviously I know nothing about PCS/moving drama but I know this part of the state really well due to work, so PM me if you want to chat!
    That's it! I'm moving in with you!

Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Moving is such a pain. What does your husband think? Would he mind the longer commute?
    If he will be at both bases, definitely not worth moving.
    I agree and I don't think the military will move us since the new base is only 50 miles away.

My husband isn't really into the long commute. He had a similar commute for 3 years during recruiting and it put a lot of wear on his car. Plus he hated all that time spent driving. He suggested looking for houses in a nearby town. But, it would still be 30 minutes from our current base and and 40 minutes from the new base.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Id live where youll be happier outside of work.
    I like it here more than the new base. The town at the halfway point is nice, but I'd still work in our current town. So that means a 30 minute commute for me and a 40 minute commute for DH.

I wish he could stay at this base!

6. Senior Member
    I actually think 50 miles is the cut off to rate a PCS move, I remember having to look into that at one point. I agree with staying or moving where you have the most to enjoy outside of work. An hour long commute isn't fun but if he doesn't have to do it every day and he doesn't work crazy hours or an on-call schedule, then it might not be that bad. Plus moving is a major hassle.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    That's it! I'm moving in with you!

I agree and I don't think the military will move us since the new base is only 50 miles away.

My husband isn't really into the long commute. He had a similar commute for 3 years during recruiting and it put a lot of wear on his car. Plus he hated all that time spent driving. He suggested looking for houses in a nearby town. But, it would still be 30 minutes from our current base and and 40 minutes from the new base.

I like it here more than the new base. The town at the halfway point is nice, but I'd still work in our current town. So that means a 30 minute commute for me and a 40 minute commute for DH.

I wish he could stay at this base!
    It seems silly to me to up both of your commutes, instead of just one. It's not like moving drastically reduces his either, but also increases yours. Seems like a lose lose to me.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I actually think 50 miles is the cut off to rate a PCS move, I remember having to look into that at one point. I agree with staying or moving where you have the most to enjoy outside of work. An hour long commute isn't fun but if he doesn't have to do it every day and he doesn't work crazy hours or an on-call schedule, then it might not be that bad. Plus moving is a major hassle.
    I have a feeling he'll be spending more time than he thinks at this new base, but we won't know until he starts the job.

I agree moving does suck!

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    It seems silly to me to up both of your commutes, instead of just one. It's not like moving drastically reduces his either, but also increases yours. Seems like a lose lose to me.
    Good point.

9. Regular Member
    I mean, even if you do move it'll still be a 30-40 minute commute, which isn't THAT different than an hour commute. Obviously it's a lot of time to be in the car, but it just doesn't seem worth all the effort of moving (especially if you don't even like the place you'd be moving to) and increasing your commute too. Personally, I would just stay put. If he really can't cope with the commute after getting a better idea of how often he'll be at the new base, maybe reevaluate then.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    To answer your question.. yes, you qualify for a PCA. this is simply a PCS from one base to another within like 100 miles or something (maybe its less mileage). A PCA qualifies the member the same rules and nuances as a PCS, you just are only going 'down the road a bit'. You still get moving allowances, etc, but you may not get DLA (I can't recall). So, if you want to move to the other base you can, however I do not know the timing, meaning if you can do it now, or after he returns, etc. Have him look into a PCA (permanent change of assignment I believe is what the acronym stands for). PCA is very common in areas where there are mulitple bases within a short distance (for example Lackland to Randolph).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't