Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean dog

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    24.86%

Mean dog

Advertisements
    Okay guys, I need opinions.
    My sister is the salt of the earth, lent us 2k when the navy didn't pay dh, she watches our kids overnight for the ball and even attempts to wash diapers for us.

My sister is great. She is hosting Easter, we are supposed to spend the night as we have the last several years, the kids plant jelly beans and in the morning find lollipops in the garden, it is a good time, and this will be our last Easter here.

She has two dogs. One of which weighs more than my (as of tomorrow) six year old. He is a brindle dog and has pitt mixed in him (some of the best dogs, I know!!!). His name is Spike. Spike has a history of being wonderful with dogs and kids alike.
    Until recently.
    Spike has taken to being very aggressive towards other dogs.
    My sister confides in me that he bloodies his nose trying to get to golden retriever puppies.

I am worried because if he has turned againsy other dogs, when does he turn on kids?
    I'm not sure where the line is with dogs in their heads that separates dogs and little humans.... but having my kids around that dog makes me, and my husband, uncomfortable.

Are we over reacting? How would you handle this situation? I mentioned my concern and was dismissed, she is sure he is okay with kids.... but he wss also okay with dogs.

Should we pretend to be sick? Talk to the older kids about not going near him and keep a close eye on the babies?
    Ask her to keep him in the garage at her own house?
    What would you do?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    35.9%
    I’d ask her to keep him separated, it’s only the day and one night right? I mean I put my dogs away when people come over just because they’re annoying, they just go take a nap. She’s aware of the dogs new issue with other dogs so hopefully she’d be understanding about the need to protect your kids. If she refuses to do that tbh I’d rethink going. It’s a totally reasonable request.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    24.86%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I’d ask her to keep him separated, it’s only the day and one night right? I mean I put my dogs away when people come over just because they’re annoying, they just go take a nap. She’s aware of the dogs new issue with other dogs so hopefully she’d be understanding about the need to protect your kids. If she refuses to do that tbh I’d rethink going. It’s a totally reasonable request.
    I think that is what I should do, he has never come after kids but he used to be friendly with other dogs... I just need the guts to approach her about it.
    I used to clean out dog bite wouds before doctors would stitch them, and I would never forgive myself if that happened to my kid's face. He could also easily kill the little ones.
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    35.9%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I think that is what I should do, he has never come after kids but he used to be friendly with other dogs... I just need the guts to approach her about it.
    I used to clean out dog bite wouds before doctors would stitch them, and I would never forgive myself if that happened to my kid's face. He could also easily kill the little ones.
    Is it something she brings up often? Maybe you could slip it in that way, next time she mentions it be like “hey I hate to offend you but this makes me nervous, would you mind keeping him separated for Easter for the kids?” Idk I feel like any good, reasonable dog owner would be more than willing to accommodate that request. She probably wouldn’t want to risk anything happening either and it’s not like she’s a stranger to his newfound aggression.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    24.86%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Is it something she brings up often? Maybe you could slip it in that way, next time she mentions it be like “hey I hate to offend you but this makes me nervous, would you mind keeping him separated for Easter for the kids?” Idk I feel like any good, reasonable dog owner would be more than willing to accommodate that request. She probably wouldn’t want to risk anything happening either and it’s not like she’s a stranger to his newfound aggression.
    I could mention it again, she keeps insisting he is great with kids and babies.... but he was once great with dogs too
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    22.97%
    I have two large dogs (70lbs ea) and one loves everyone and every animal and the other I cannot trust with other dogs (other than my girl I already had when we adopted him). He’s totally fine with kids, as much as I try to make the kids careful with the dogs they’ve tripped and fallen on them, hit them, grabbed them, he’s never done anything other than kiss them. That being said he doesn’t show pure aggression he doesn’t bark when dogs go by or bloody his nose trying to go after dogs. My 5 year old can walk him and he doesn’t try to break free to go after other dogs. He has fear aggression if (and only if) a strange dog comes up to him he gets aggressive. The times we’ve dealt with it it’s been a loose dog issue while he was on leash but because it’s happened I won’t ever trust him to be with other dogs. I don’t want to be responsible for my dog hurting another dog so I make sure to keep him out of situations that could lead to that. I am positive your sister would never want her dog to hurt a child I don’t see why she’d mind separating them just to avoid a potential situation. That being said if he’s developing aggression and this is new behavior it could be indicative of a bigger problem.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    35.9%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I could mention it again, she keeps insisting he is great with kids and babies.... but he was once great with dogs too
    Yeah just say that. Better safe than sorry. Honestly if she’s unwilling to work with you I’d really probably not go. It’s just too great a risk. And maybe that doesn’t mean he has to be locked in a garage the whole time, maybe that means he stays behind a baby gate and can come back out when your little kids are in bed. When we have people over I usually put my dogs behind a baby gate in the hallway so they don’t feel like they’re being punished, but they’re not aggressive so idk if that would be a solution with him.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    71.96%
    If you are uncomfortable, just stay at a hotel. Maybe get a place that has a pool and invite her and the family over for some pool time. You can make the excuse that they kids want to have fun with the cousins and this would help them out.

You don't explain, just do what you need to do.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    24.86%
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    If you are uncomfortable, just stay at a hotel. Maybe get a place that has a pool and invite her and the family over for some pool time. You can make the excuse that they kids want to have fun with the cousins and this would help them out.

You don't explain, just do what you need to do.
    You know, this is a great idea, we have too many kids for a queen bed and a blow up mattress anyway.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    1.34%
    I think it's best to just be honest with her. Tell her it makes you uncomfortable regardless and ask if she can keep the dog outside/in a separate room while you are there. If it upsets her you could always go with the hotel idea. I don't think you should tell her you're sick and not go, you will probably regret missing that time with family and if she finds out the truth it could cause more issues than just telling her the dog makes you nervous.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast