Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He got orders, what do we need to do?

1. Senior Member

He got orders, what do we need to do?

Advertisements
    Dh just received his orders, we will be headed to San Diego, what do we do now? What's the deal with housing? What do I need to do to move? ANY advice is appreciated. Although we were dating his whole first stint of active duty, I never moved with him, we weren't married/no kids, and he never owned enough crap to require a real move.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Dh just received his orders, we will be headed to San Diego, what do we do now? What's the deal with housing? What do I need to do to move? ANY advice is appreciated. Although we were dating his whole first stint of active duty, I never moved with him, we weren't married/no kids, and he never owned enough crap to require a real move.
    Congrats! I loved living in San Diego.

Pretty much he'll have to arrange everything. Y'all will need to decide if you want the military to move you or if you want to do it yourself. As far as what you can do, start purging now because you'll be given a weight limit based on his rank. DO NOT go over your limit!
    What are your questions about housing? More than likely there will be a wait for military housing. Sometimes it's a few months and sometimes it's over a year, it just depends.

3. Senior Member
    If you want to live in base housing you should call and see what's available/get put on a waitlist if necessary. I would look for a Facebook group for your base. The spouse Facebook page here has been my best resource. You should be able to get the good, the bad, and the ugly on housing from them.

If you guys have a lot of stuff I would start decluttering and getting rid of any extra things you don't need. You should also decide if you want to move everything yourself or not.

We're hoping for San Diego and should have our results soon! I love San Diego already and from what I've heard it's one of the best places to be stationed!
  4. Regular Member
    Congrats, I love living in San Diego

Definitely look into housing sooner rather than later, a lot of them have waitlists out here unless you want to live off base. Off-base housing is much cheaper but on-base can be easier. When are you moving?
  5. Senior Member
    So our options are kind of limited thanks to my dog, but there is no chance I would move without him. Also, four kids.
    So it looks like Vista Ridge or Murphy Canyon. He is E5. I think those two are it.

Now he has verbal orders right now, do we have to wait on written to do anything?

He had mentioned doing a partial DIY move.... but with 4 under 6 I think it would be easier to have them do it.
  6. Senior Member
    Moving late April
  7. Senior Member
    So our options are kind of limited thanks to my dog, but there is no chance I would move without him. Also, four kids.
    So it looks like Vista Ridge or Murphy Canyon. He is E5. I think those two are it.

Now he has verbal orders right now, do we have to wait on written to do anything?

He had mentioned doing a partial DIY move.... but with 4 under 6 I think it would be easier to have them do it.
    My experience is dated by 8 years or so, but he should consider the partial DIY. You will want to have some basic household goods with you, especially with kids (e.g. air mattresses, kitchen things, clothes, toys). If you think you will have a small trailer or loaded cars then have your car weighed empty and loaded and then submit on the receiving end for reimbursement. And then the movers will come and load up the bulk of the household goods. I don't know if this is always available and it needs to be set up ahead of time. DB has always done a full DIY (except the oversees PCS) because hes single and doesn't own a bunch of stuff, but even then it was a super pain and more trouble than it was worth (in my opinion, obviously not his ). I wouldn't even attempt with kids. And agreed, start to purge now! Congrats.
  8. Regular Member

Murphy canyon is very dog friendly, we are moving there after DH's deployment, I love it. We have toured and its a nice little area and cute homes. I think the largest house they have is a four bedroom so you'd obviously qualify for that and I think the waitlist is quite short for 4 bedrooms so it's a pretty safe bet. As for your pup, they will just ask for pictures/information so they can register the dog but they allow up to 100 lbs or maybe even no weight restrictions at all, they are one of the only communities to do that!

You will have to wait until you have the official orders because he will have to send those in along with your application packet, its about a 6 page document that you can find on their website and it's straight forward
  9. Senior Member

Verbal orders don't mean anything. Does he at least have web orders? He'll need web orders to get the ball rolling.

We lived in Murphy Canyon! The houses are very nice and I liked that they are off base. When we got on the list there was a 3 month wait and we couldn't get on it until my hubs checked out of his old unit. I'm not sure how it works since your DH is just re-joining, but they might make him wait to get on the list until he checks into the new unit. Give housing a call ASAP!

10. Regular Member
    I live off base so am not much help, but congrats!! We have great weather and great beer out here, so what more could you ever need
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast