Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobs/Job Changes - Advice

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.62%

Jobs/Job Changes - Advice

Advertisements
    I know every job will have pros and cons...how much would you put up with/what would make you change jobs?

There are many aspects of my job that I really love, but there are some aspects that really bother me and I dislike. I have thought about looking for a different job but then I hesitate...

1) My health insurance (and my kids health insurance) comes from my job
    2) As much as I have some issues with my job I know it's steady income and my job isn't going anywhere (security)
    3) Daycare follows school policies for late starts/closures and with DB gone no one else is here to pick them up or alternate with me if they are sick or there's school closings...some places (especially city or government jobs) are super flexible with that but some (like mine) are not...

I cannot decide if I am being unreasonable with my expectations at work and the cons aren't that bad or if maybe I'm just chicken to change because at least I know what to expect here and I am terrified of putting my kids/myself in a worse position...

Honestly right now I feel like I give my life to my job, I am here from like 7:30am-5pm and I sometimes bring stuff home for evenings or weekends to log in remotely when needed (but they won't let me log in remotely if kids are sick...only if they need something done after hours) and I *feel* like I barely see my kids...part of me feels like a lower paying job with less hours might be worth the paycut if I actually get to spend more time with my kids...but then I worry about changing anything while DB is deployed (even though he has said he supports me no matter what) maybe even if I were to decide to change it would be better to wait until he's back?

Here's the other kicker, my bosses keep saying they plan to retire in 2-5 years and they told me they want me to run the business with their son (as he can't do budgeting/bookkeeping side) so if I stick it out another 2-5 years I could be working in a completely different atmosphere...that potential opportunity may be too much to give up?!

I go back and forth...would love to hear some other people's experiences...what made you change? what have you stayed and put up with?
  2. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    64.37%
    I am leaving a job right now because of the lack of support & workload. (Also, my boss is downright crazy.)

I put up with a heavy workload previously, but only because I felt supported in my role. I had resources when it got overwhelming, and my boss put limits on our time expectations - he did not want us to work a ridiculous amount of hrs a week, and would flex deadlines so that we could space it out more reasonably. He was great. I was busier than hell, but I felt like I was doing something with meaning and still accomplishing things, without it harming my relationship with family/friends or my health.

This job, if my boss could justify me working 70+ hrs a week, she would. My time is not felt to be valuable, since my workload is both heavy and meaningless. Doesn't matter if I have commitments outside of work, it's Sassy's responsibility to cancel any non-work appointments to fit in a sudden (and never important) random work appointment that BossLady forgot existed, and she just is too valuable to demean her time with it. She schedules and assigns like a drunken squirrel.

Work-life balance is really important to me, so I have no problem justifying walking away from a position that doesn't allow a proper balance. Now, this is after attempting to talk to supervisor to re-balance. Sometimes managers forget what's already on the table, and if you speak up, it may get fixed more quickly than you think. But if you have spoken up and nothing has changed (or has gone towards the worse end), to me, mental/emotional/physical health is more important, and I would say it justifies changing jobs. Change is scary, and I would imagine more so if you've got dependents.

I also never rely on verbal promises of promotions or changes at work. What if some condition changes in 2-5 years and they don't retire? Too many what ifs in that scenario for me personally. Too many things can change in that time span.

Probably don't jump ship right away, but get a good solid list of what your wants/needs are with a new position, what your strengths are, and put some feelers out for new jobs. Also research what the average pay range is for the work you do. You might be surprised what you can negotiate.

Either case - good luck!
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  3. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%
    Christmas Holidays/Work

Seems like we've been over this already...?
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    49.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I know every job will have pros and cons...how much would you put up with/what would make you change jobs?

There are many aspects of my job that I really love, but there are some aspects that really bother me and I dislike. I have thought about looking for a different job but then I hesitate...

1) My health insurance (and my kids health insurance) comes from my job
    2) As much as I have some issues with my job I know it's steady income and my job isn't going anywhere (security)
    3) Daycare follows school policies for late starts/closures and with DB gone no one else is here to pick them up or alternate with me if they are sick or there's school closings...some places (especially city or government jobs) are super flexible with that but some (like mine) are not...

I cannot decide if I am being unreasonable with my expectations at work and the cons aren't that bad or if maybe I'm just chicken to change because at least I know what to expect here and I am terrified of putting my kids/myself in a worse position...

Honestly right now I feel like I give my life to my job, I am here from like 7:30am-5pm and I sometimes bring stuff home for evenings or weekends to log in remotely when needed (but they won't let me log in remotely if kids are sick...only if they need something done after hours) and I *feel* like I barely see my kids...part of me feels like a lower paying job with less hours might be worth the paycut if I actually get to spend more time with my kids...but then I worry about changing anything while DB is deployed (even though he has said he supports me no matter what) maybe even if I were to decide to change it would be better to wait until he's back?

Here's the other kicker, my bosses keep saying they plan to retire in 2-5 years and they told me they want me to run the business with their son (as he can't do budgeting/bookkeeping side) so if I stick it out another 2-5 years I could be working in a completely different atmosphere...that potential opportunity may be too much to give up?!

I go back and forth...would love to hear some other people's experiences...what made you change? what have you stayed and put up with?
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Christmas Holidays/Work

Seems like we've been over this already...?
    Yup
    R&R - Work

5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    82.22%
    Clearly you want a different job, so start looking. See what's out there.

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.62%
    I know I have complained about my work before...but this time I am asking what have others put up with and what would you not put up with. What is the responsible thing to do? It's not just me, it's my kids too...I don't want to put us in a tight spot...and I don't want to do something rash because I feel burnt out or under-appreciated or even entitled because work expectations in Canada are different than the US!

I am seriously asking what's reasonable and what's not...am I being a drama queen or do I have legit issue that could be non-existent elsewhere?
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    30.74%
    Based on your other threads, without knowing your salary/cost of living, I think you should find something else. If you’re dissatisfied enough that strangers online find you memorable for your job woes I mean that’s a pretty sure sign to me. Plus if your issue is with work/life balance, that’s not something I see improving by taking on the extra responsibility of running the business with the son.
  8. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    90.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I know I have complained about my work before...but this time I am asking what have others put up with and what would you not put up with. What is the responsible thing to do? It's not just me, it's my kids too...I don't want to put us in a tight spot...and I don't want to do something rash because I feel burnt out or under-appreciated or even entitled because work expectations in Canada are different than the US!

I am seriously asking what's reasonable and what's not...am I being a drama queen or do I have legit issue that could be non-existent elsewhere?
    I mean, go back and look at your other threads They're all the same. You got some good advice in those and it seems like you're stuck in a pattern of being unhappy with your job situation but you're not doing anything about it. I get it, change is hard... but why don't you at least start looking if you are still feeling this way?
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    82.22%
    Why do you need to log in remotely for this job?

I think you have put yourself in a bad situation with this job and do more than you should (and take more than you should). They expect it now.

Start over at a new job.

life's a party, rock your body
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.55%
    It is a scary jump, but it seems like you need it.

I have never left jobs because of pay, but always when I realize my time isbnot valued.

I would not stay at a job for years based on hear say, unless it's in writing, don't count on it. And would you be owning half the company, or working for their son?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast