Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Jobs/Job Changes - Advice

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    I always thought two weeks was standard at any job. Am I wrong? That’s wonderful if I’m wrong
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I always thought two weeks was standard at any job. Am I wrong? That’s wonderful if I’m wrong
    Yea same here, I think two weeks is pretty standard to start out. We start at two weeks and you get your third week at FIVE years. And then a fourth week (max) at ten years. We also get two weeks of sick time a year though. Our entry level staff positions have comp time though so any overtime worked they can choose to be paid out straight pay for it or use it as vacation. I think my second year here I took two months of vacation. Something else to look at is holidays, I get ten paid a year. Now my sister who works in local government gets 15 paid holidays, for things that aren't even real holidays. If you have a bunch of experience though, negotiate the vacation days if they are only offering two weeks. If you don't ask you won't receive.
  3. Senior Member
    2 weeks is standard to start out with. Not wait two years to get! And then never get any more lol! And like PP said, you can always negotiate more. Hubs got 3 weeks to start. But having to wait two whole years to even get any vacation, with no way to increase it due to longevity with the company, and them expecting you to (it sounds like) be on call constantly....that's a recipe for a burnt out employee.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  4. Regular Member
    Not to be a jerk but I have unlimited PTO

But yes I would think 2 weeks is normal for starting out, but you would increase from there. Only having 2 weeks after 4 years, especially when it sounds like you are constantly on call, is silly.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    At my job I get 14 paid holidays, 15 PTO (vacation days), and 12 paid sick days a year, so 41 days off per year. (Goes up by an additional 3 days every 5 years you work there) Universities are nice, next Monday is a paid holiday for me (President's Day!)
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    At my job I get 14 paid holidays, 15 PTO (vacation days), and 12 paid sick days a year, so 41 days off per year. (Goes up by an additional 3 days every 5 years you work there) Universities are nice, next Monday is a paid holiday for me (President's Day!)
    we get 2 weeks vacation (after 2 years) - sick days at their discretion - guaranteed Christmas and 4th of july and the rest of the holidays at their discretion so it changes year to year (and has changed every year I have been here) and usually we get a week or 2 notice if we're getting a holiday off, even when we ask in advance they typically say they will let us know when they've decided...
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    we get 2 weeks vacation (after 2 years) - sick days at their discretion - guaranteed Christmas and 4th of july and the rest of the holidays at their discretion so it changes year to year (and has changed every year I have been here) and usually we get a week or 2 notice if we're getting a holiday off, even when we ask in advance they typically say they will let us know when they've decided...
    I hate to say it, but they’re fucking you.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    You get holidays off at “their discretion”?? Yeah. That alone would make me look for something else. So guaranteed Christmas and 4th of July? But maybe or maybe not they will let you spend Thanksgiving with your family? How do you even still work there and question if you should look for something else?
  9. Regular Member
    Oh my goodness I can't believe people are willing to put up with that

None of what you're describing is normal, so I am so confused why they have any employees willing to work like that. I have never heard of a company functioning like that- you could get literally any other job and it would be so much better. Clear calendars, increasing PTO (and definitely not starting after 2 years), and an actual process to taking your time off. This is so bizarre I'm actually frustrated for you
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345