Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jobs/Job Changes - Advice

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Advertisements
    Why on earth wouldn't you at least be looking to see what else is out there? What could I possibly hurt?

As far as being unreasonable that's pretty hard for any of us to say because we don't really know the inns and outs of things, how much you get paid versus your education and experience and other similar jobs, etc. The multiple threads do seem a little dramatic, especially because it seems that you talk about it but then never actually do anything. But as to whether your expectations are unreasonable, again, we can't really say. You do need to be aware that pretty much every job has things about it that suck. Pretty much every job is going to take probably 40 to 45 hours at work, if not more. Pretty much any job isn't going to care if your childcare situation falls through; they want you to be there when you're supposed to be there and figuring out how to make that happen is on you. So if these are the reasons you're leaving, you're unlikely to find something better somewhere else.

But that doesn't mean there isn't something else better out there. Start looking.
    Last edited by villanelle; 02-14-2018 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typos
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Why on earth wouldn't you at least be looking to see what else is out there? What could I possibly hurt?

As far as being unreasonable that's pretty hard for any of us to say because we don't really know the inns and outs of things, how much you get paid versus your education and experience and other similar jobs, etc. They multiple threats to seem a little dramatic, especially because it seems that you talk about it but then never actually do anything. But as to whether your expectations are unreasonable, again, we can't really say. You do need to be aware that pretty much every job has things about it that suck. Pretty much every job is going to take probably 40 to 45 hours at work, if not more. Pretty much any job isn't going to care if your childcare situation falls through; they want you to be there when you're supposed to be there and figuring out how to make that happen is on you. So if these are the reasons you're leaving your unlikely to find something better somewhere else.

But that doesn't mean there isn't something else better out there. Start looking.

life's a party, rock your body
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%
    Are you going to come back to this thread, OP?

4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    I agree with everyone else to start looking. Regardless of whether you think you are being unreasonable you are clearly unhappy and frustrated. It doesn't hurt to look elsewhere. Also, there is no promise that when the sons take over the environment will be any better, it could also get worse (sorry to be a downer). I often feel like I give my life to my job with long work hours and being available at night and weekends for clients. Checking email and responding to email is literally the first and last thing I do during a day. But its the nature of my job and industry, and the salary reflects that. If I had kids this job would be a no-go. Bottom line it doesn't hurt to look for something else since it seems like you have ongoing doubts and issues.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Are you going to come back to this thread, OP?
    I'm here!

I'm trying to take it all in. I have (as my mother constantly reminds me) a tendency to make emotional/rash decisions lol so I'm not going to jump ship right now...but I am going to think about what type of job I may want and after my trip to Italy start putting resumes out...

No I wouldn't be a co-owner I would work for the son when they pass the company to him, he just doesn't know how to handle all the business aspects so would need someone to run the business.

I have my work email directly on my phone so it's with me 24/7, evenings, weekends, holidays, vacations - I am always reachable by clients as well. Sometimes I have to respond sometimes I can wait til I am back in the office. That doesn't bother me at all.
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Lv. Percent
    68.05%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I'm here!

I'm trying to take it all in. I have (as my mother constantly reminds me) a tendency to make emotional/rash decisions lol so I'm not going to jump ship right now...but I am going to think about what type of job I may want and after my trip to Italy start putting resumes out...

No I wouldn't be a co-owner I would work for the son when they pass the company to him, he just doesn't know how to handle all the business aspects so would need someone to run the business.

I have my work email directly on my phone so it's with me 24/7, evenings, weekends, holidays, vacations - I am always reachable by clients as well. Sometimes I have to respond sometimes I can wait til I am back in the office. That doesn't bother me at all.
    I know every job will have pros and cons...how much would you put up with/what would make you change jobs?

There are many aspects of my job that I really love, but there are some aspects that really bother me and I dislike. I have thought about looking for a different job but then I hesitate...

1) My health insurance (and my kids health insurance) comes from my job
    2) As much as I have some issues with my job I know it's steady income and my job isn't going anywhere (security)
    3) Daycare follows school policies for late starts/closures and with DB gone no one else is here to pick them up or alternate with me if they are sick or there's school closings...some places (especially city or government jobs) are super flexible with that but some (like mine) are not...

I cannot decide if I am being unreasonable with my expectations at work and the cons aren't that bad or if maybe I'm just chicken to change because at least I know what to expect here and I am terrified of putting my kids/myself in a worse position...

Honestly right now I feel like I give my life to my job, I am here from like 7:30am-5pm and I sometimes bring stuff home for evenings or weekends to log in remotely when needed (but they won't let me log in remotely if kids are sick...only if they need something done after hours) and I *feel* like I barely see my kids...part of me feels like a lower paying job with less hours might be worth the paycut if I actually get to spend more time with my kids...but then I worry about changing anything while DB is deployed (even though he has said he supports me no matter what) maybe even if I were to decide to change it would be better to wait until he's back?

Here's the other kicker, my bosses keep saying they plan to retire in 2-5 years and they told me they want me to run the business with their son (as he can't do budgeting/bookkeeping side) so if I stick it out another 2-5 years I could be working in a completely different atmosphere...that potential opportunity may be too much to give up?!

I go back and forth...would love to hear some other people's experiences...what made you change? what have you stayed and put up with?

It bothers you, but it doesn't bother you at all.

7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    It bothers you, but it doesn't bother you at all.
    Logging in remotely and doing work on our server is completely different than having my work emails and clients being able to contact me 24/7 - my phone is always with me. I am not always on my work laptop connected to the server having to do work...

Edit: EI I can have my cell at my kids basketball game and be able to talk to clients if necessary. I cannot take my work laptop and millions of papers to reconcile accounts on the server at the basketball game...
    Last edited by AMP1984; 02-13-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding
  8. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    78.57%
    Logging in remotely and doing work on our server is completely different than having my work emails and clients being able to contact me 24/7 - my phone is always with me. I am not always on my work laptop connected to the server having to do work...

Edit: EI I can have my cell at my kids basketball game and be able to talk to clients if necessary. I cannot take my work laptop and millions of papers to reconcile accounts on the server at the basketball game...
    That sounds like an excuse.

I could say the same thing as you, I could use it as a reason to quit/not quit. I work from home remotely and have my office line, cell line, and email all forwarded to my cell phone. I could check them at the gym or hanging with friends or during the weekends.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    21.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    That sounds like an excuse.

I could say the same thing as you, I could use it as a reason to quit/not quit. I work from home remotely and have my office line, cell line, and email all forwarded to my cell phone. I could check them at the gym or hanging with friends or during the weekends.
    I was responding to a PP who mentioned in one instance I said it doesn't bother me that clients can access me 24/7 and I always check work emails and it doesn't bother me (which it doesn't - if there's an issue I will talk to a client ANY time of day, at home, on vacation, whatever no problems) but I don't want to log in to do extra work on the server without extra pay because no one wants to hire an extra person they have to pay...big difference in my mind...helping a customer/client ALWAYS important and I have no issue with that.
  10. Personally victimized by Regina George
    Personally victimized by Regina George
    Lv. Percent
    78.57%
    I was responding to a PP who mentioned in one instance I said it doesn't bother me that clients can access me 24/7 and I always check work emails and it doesn't bother me (which it doesn't - if there's an issue I will talk to a client ANY time of day, at home, on vacation, whatever no problems) but I don't want to log in to do extra work on the server without extra pay because no one wants to hire an extra person they have to pay...big difference in my mind...helping a customer/client ALWAYS important and I have no issue with that.
    You make no sense. Good luck.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast