Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Naturalization process!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Need advice on Naturalization process!

Advertisements
    Help! My soldier and I got married in December and Iím enrolled in his DEERS. I only have a work permit through the Dreamers Act (DACA) how or where do I start to become a US citizen with having my husband in the Army?
  2. Senior Member
    Becoming a citizen is not that easy. I believe you have to be in the country and married for a certain amount of years maybe? Being married to a US Citizen however, you can apply for a green card and it will most likely be granted to you.
  3. Senior Member
    Can you talk to an immigration attorney? There's so much crap right now surrounding immigration you definitely want to make sure you do everything by the book.

I don't have any experience with DACA - but I did originally come to the US on a work permit (seasonally - I worked in the US in the summers while going to university back home the rest of the year) I met my (now ex) husband in the US and he refused to consider living anywhere else (even with free healthcare lol) so I came back on fiancťe visa and eventually got my permanent residency (green card) through our marriage. When we divorced I applied to have the condition removed on my greencard (the condition being marriage).

Once I was a permanent resident I was told I had to wait 8 years to be able to apply for citizenship.

Again I don't know how it works for DACA, it might be completely different, but that's how it worked for me.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I came to the states many years ago as a kid through the green card lottery, not marriage or DACA so my experience is different, but my biggest piece of advice is to find a lawyer like yesterday. My boyfriend's SIL is going through this process (she's from the same country as me, been here for ~6 years, married for most of it) and just now got her permanent residency status. It takes foreverrrrr and there were a lot of bumps in the road for her. Plus, with this administration, I wouldn't take any chances trying to do this on my own.
  5. Senior Member
    Your husband being in the army has nothing to do with immigration processes. Find a lawyer.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    How or where do I apply for the green card through my marriage?
  7. Senior Member
    USCIS will have all the forms but I would highly advise hiring an immigration lawyer - as others have said it is not an easy process even through marriage...you want to make sure you do everything right! It is a long process it's not as easy as we're married now I get a green card, it's a lengthy process of forms, documents, proof, biometrics, letters from friends and family and then interview...an immigration attorney will help you through every step and prepare you for what's ahead.
  8. Senior Member
    Itís a long and costly process and you need to get on that ASAP. Being married to a US citizen alone doesnít entitle you to stay the USA and the longer you wait, the more difficult it may be. I agree with everyone else to get a lawyer.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    You really need a lawyer. DACA is super complicated. It depends if you were brought here as a kid 100% illegally or if your parents just overstayed a different visa type (such as tourist). You could have to leave the country for a while. It depends on a huge number of factors.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Your husband being in the army has nothing to do with immigration processes. Find a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by monseemona20 View Post
    How or where do I apply for the green card through my marriage?
    Toss out the notion of his Army status and being in DEERS as any sort of help in this process. It doesnít matter.

There isnít like a quick application through your marriage. Itís a lengthy and expensive process. Like stated, USCIS will have the forms, but you really need an immigration lawyer to help navigate, not only the forms, but the process. Find one ASAP and get to work. Donít hesitate or delay on getting this process started either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast