Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tell me all you know about Norfolk!

1. Regular Member

Smile Tell me all you know about Norfolk!

Advertisements
    My DH is currently deployed, but is stationed in San Diego. He just got his slate sheet or dream sheet? Not sure what its called, but he got in a few days ago. We are both from the east coast and I have always been set on him coming back this way... now I'm second guessing that move. Don't get me wrong, I love San Diego...theres a lot to do, tons of restaurants, beautiful beaches...but we are hours away from our family. I think I'm scared that I don't know anyone and if he's underway then I literally have no one I can call...That gives me anxiety. He does have friends, but I don't have much in common with their SO's. I have always had a close relationship with my family and have always lived within driving distance to them. We have talked about staying in SD for another year 1/2, Norfolk or Mayport. Theres not many jobs for his position in Mayport and I have been told thats almost impossible to get. We still plan to put that first, but more than likely its not going to happen. So what do you guys think about Norfolk? My husband has made it out to be a miserable place thats all military. I have been there one time, but theres a big difference from visiting and living.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    So you can take this with a grain of salt because my DH and I have never been there, plus he's been out for a few years but when it was time for new orders he refused to do shore duty in Norfolk and took a second sea tour instead, lol
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We lived in Virginia Beach. That whole area (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, NewPort News, Hampton, etc) is known as Hampton Roads. It’s a huuuuuge area with lots of people and military (bases and community). It can be easy to stay there (or get stuck) because there’s a good possibility you can flip flop from sea to shore to sea, etc. We actively set out to leave but otherwise would have stayed because the other orders available were for there.

There is a lot to do. A lot. You can stay in area or venture up to Williamsburg, up to DC, or down to North Carolina. All are short drives. Google TripAdvisor for the area. You’ll see a huge amount of things to do.

Weather wise, it can get hot in the summer and snow in the winter. Now some winters it won’t snow at all and others you could see 10+ inches. Just never know.

You can also get hurricanes/tropical storms in the area. I wouldn’t say it’s common but it can happen.

Traffic is horrendous depending on which road and time you’re traveling. You definitely want to watch your route and time and plan accordingly. Wherever you work at, live on that side of the tunnel. You do not want to have to travel the tunnel multiple times a day, especially during rush hour.

Schools, you want to research, but in general they are highly rated. I can’t really speak for the ones specifically in Norfolk but Virginia Beach has some amazing schools. I have friends in Chesapeake and they are very satisfied.

Overall, we enjoyed our time there and would be happy to go back.

I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head. lol If you think of anything else feel free to ask.
  4. Senior Member
    We moved from San Diego to Norfolk in June 2019. We miss San Diego so much but are so happy to be close to family on the East Coast. We didn't like our first house/neighborhood so we moved a few miles down the road and are much happier. We live in Ghent which is a walkable neighborhood close to downtown Norfolk. We have 7 breweries within a mile or 2 of us and we can get to the beach in 20 minutes. I don't love it but it is much better than I thought!
  5. Regular Member
    I live in San Diego right now and am so so hopeful we will get sent to VA Beach once my husband finishes his training. I'm a little biased because I hate San Diego (minus the perfect weather), but I've heard great things from people who live there. My husband (and the people we know) isn't on a ship or anything so it may be a slightly different experience depending what community y'all are involved in, but people seem to like it. Most of all we are really looking forward to being able to afford a house (rather than spending $2500 a month on a tiny apartment in SD) and being close to family.
  6. Regular Member
    DH and I are living in Virginia Beach right now and neither of us are super fond of it. We like that weíre on the east coast and can drive home (granted itís a long drive) but we just havenít found much here that we really love. Itís hard to find a nice area to live in, and there seem to be high crime rates in a lot of areas where there are apartments. We live in a nice ish area of va beach and he commutes to Norfolk and has to leave the house no later than 05:15 to muster at 07:00. It takes him about 20-30 min to get to work, but if he leaves too late then it takes over an hour because of traffic. There are nice places to eat, and some cool things to do, but itís definitely not somewhere we plan on staying. He actually just picked orders and weíre hoping for San Diego or Mayport, Iíd love to hear about your experiences out in California!
  7. Regular Member
    This is just my personal experience, but I feel like if traffic and crime are your primary concerns, you won't like San Diego much better. I think towns in mid county are safer than the actual San Diego area though so that could eliminate that issue if you're willing to live further north. We live on Coronado, which is really fancy/expensive/safe-ish, but we still have a fair amount of petty crime around us. My husband commutes like 2 miles to base, which is great, but if he's going when everyone else is going then traffic is really bad. I work 15 miles north and commute at least an hour each way, more on Thursdays (for whatever reason Thursdays here are terrible).

HOWEVER, San Diego is ridiculously fun, there's always something to do, and you seriously can't beat the weather, so it really does have a lot going for it. If y'all get California I'm sure you'll really like it! A lot of our friends want to go to VA, but a good amount love it here and would hate to leave.