Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and their puppy

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Neighbors and their puppy

Advertisements
    So the townhouse next to ours is a rental, and in November a new family moved in. Young husband, wife, toddler. About a month into it, I heard the guy make comments about "we can finally get a dog!" and then he brought home a super cute Australian Shepherd pup. However, since that time, they have decided to mostly raise the dog outside on the patio & in the garage. It doesn't get super cold here so it's not gonna freeze or anything, but we're talking about a working breed pup who is not being trained or socialized properly. The patio it lives on is about ~250 sq ft, fenced in concrete. They put a tiny strip of grass, like 2 ft by 8 ft, on the edge for it to do it's business. It also can go in the garage at anytime but I don't know what set up they have in there. My issue is threefold:
    1) The dog clearly realizes it's being excluded from the family and spend a LOT of time sitting by their front door, whimpering pathetically. At 6 am Sunday, it woke up and spent about 3 hours sitting there making sad noises. Due to the layout of the townhomes, their patio is basically directly under my bedroom window, so it woke me up and broke my heart. (turned out the family wasn't even home, they didn't appear til 10 pm that night)
    2) It's not getting ANY training. For now it doesn't bark much and it's too little to be really destructive but it's only about 4 months (at the MOST) old and I know that will quickly change. I never see them playing with it, training it, nothing. Just this week it's started digging up all the grass they gave it and I can just imagine this progressing into it spending it's days ripping at the fencing and barking at everything.
    3) The strip of grass they gave it is directly adjacent to my garden (with the fence in the middle). Instead of properly cleaning up the poop and stuff, they just hose the grass down every so often and now my garden smells like dog excrement. DH and I have already previously talked to them about not washing their entire patio down because they were doing it every day and the water was running down into our patio and causing giant mud puddles in our sidewalk. Also my garden is succulents & cacti and they're starting to get overwatered. I need a way to say "stop spraying your dog's crap under the fence into my garden and btw you're killing my cacti."

Any ideas on how and if we should address these? #3 definitely, but the other 2 I am not sure...
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    I’m not sure how you criticize their dog training (or lack thereof) without coming off like a nosy neighbor but it’s completely reasonable for you to complain about them leaving the dog outside all day long to whine under your window. That’s a nuisance that’s directly affecting you.

This makes me so sad idk why you’d get a puppy and not even hang out with it.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Iím not sure how you criticize their dog training (or lack thereof) without coming off like a nosy neighbor but itís completely reasonable for you to complain about them leaving the dog outside all day long to whine under your window. Thatís a nuisance thatís directly affecting you.

This makes me so sad idk why youíd get a puppy and not even hang out with it.
    It's so cute too, omg. DH and I frequently talk to it through the fence and try to get it to come over to us so it can learn who we are but it's pretty shy. Kinda want to cut a hole in the fence so it can come hang out with us instead, we'd sit out there all night playing with it.
  4. Senior Member
    How do you know they aren't training it? Surely you're not watching the puppy all day. If it's because the puppy is misbehaving that's just puppies. Also puppies will cry a lot, just like babies. When I babysit for my friend their new puppy cries the second I leave her alone.

I would politely ask them to clean up after their dog some other way because your garden is being ruined and when the dog is crying maybe pop in or text them and ask if they can quiet her down. I feel like it's not a neighbor's place to address the rest.
  5. Senior Member
    The poor puppy. I would not be surprised if the puppy ends up being brought to a shelter. If they decide they can no longer take care of the dog, hopefully they will look into a breed specific rescue. You might want to see if there are any Aussie rescues near you in case you get word of them deciding the puppy is too much to handle. A puppy and a toddler is a lot to handle for anyone.

The only thing I can think of regarding the water is to somehow block the area under the fence with brick or something so the water will stay more on their side than yours.
  6. Senior Member
    When I got my lab in college, I lived in an apartment and my neighbor said she heard him crying while I was gone and offered to walk him for me.
    I declined her offer, but it let me know I needed to come home in between classes and walk him, it was a very polite way of telling me she was bothered by the noise.

Can you make a similar offer that would come at them from a helpful angle but let them know the crying is noticed (and at early hours)?

I think addressing the garden head on is fair. Do you guys rent or own? If you rent, I would talk to the office if you are still having issues in a week or so.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    How do you know they aren't training it? Surely you're not watching the puppy all day. If it's because the puppy is misbehaving that's just puppies. Also puppies will cry a lot, just like babies. When I babysit for my friend their new puppy cries the second I leave her alone.

I would politely ask them to clean up after their dog some other way because your garden is being ruined and when the dog is crying maybe pop in or text them and ask if they can quiet her down. I feel like it's not a neighbor's place to address the rest.
    While it's true I'm not there all the time, I have spent whole days outside (gardening) last weekend and the dog was alone the whole time. The family would come and go and just walk right past it. They never spend time outside on their patio, they don't pet it or talk to it. They don't take it in the house as far as I can tell. It's always there (I say hi to it every day and wiggle my fingers at it through the fence [i realize this is a bit dumb]). I mean maybe some of this is because it's a young pup but it was my understanding that training and socialization can start right away.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    The poor puppy. I would not be surprised if the puppy ends up being brought to a shelter. If they decide they can no longer take care of the dog, hopefully they will look into a breed specific rescue. You might want to see if there are any Aussie rescues near you in case you get word of them deciding the puppy is too much to handle. A puppy and a toddler is a lot to handle for anyone.

The only thing I can think of regarding the water is to somehow block the area under the fence with brick or something so the water will stay more on their side than yours.
    Yeah it kinda seems like they got it and then realized they couldn't handle it in the house (peeing, chewing, etc) so they just leave it outside. It wasn't outside for the first month or so they had it though. The fence-line is long, like 35', otherwise I would try to put some barrier in place. My patio is set lower than theirs by about 2 feet so the water naturally flows down to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    When I got my lab in college, I lived in an apartment and my neighbor said she heard him crying while I was gone and offered to walk him for me.
    I declined her offer, but it let me know I needed to come home in between classes and walk him, it was a very polite way of telling me she was bothered by the noise.

Can you make a similar offer that would come at them from a helpful angle but let them know the crying is noticed (and at early hours)?

I think addressing the garden head on is fair. Do you guys rent or own? If you rent, I would talk to the office if you are still having issues in a week or so.
    We own, the whole building is owner-occupied except this one townhouse (the owner is a skeezy landlord too, he kicked the last family (a single dad with a baby and 2 cats) out with like 10 days notice and then this family moved in). I can try to talk to them about the whimpering early in the morning I guess. Not sure what a possible solution would be as they don't seem to interact with the pup much or bring it inside.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Maybe (hopefully!) this isn't a long term solution. Maybe they just have a wonky routine at the moment. I can't imagine leaving any dog outside for that long!
    We probably didn't train our Aussie the very best as a puppy but she certainly is loved! She is only slightly crazy now.

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Maybe (hopefully!) this isn't a long term solution. Maybe they just have a wonky routine at the moment. I can't imagine leaving any dog outside for that long!
    We probably didn't train our Aussie the very best as a puppy but she certainly is loved! She is only slightly crazy now.
    I really hope so. When we first moved in, the landlord himself lived there and had two tiny dogs (chi mixes) he left outside basically from 5 am to 11 pm, and they would YAPYAPYAP sooo much. I tried to talk to him about it once and he got all angry and basically said "well the lady across the street, her dogs bark all the time too so I don't need to do anything about mine so deal with it." I was so happy when he moved out lol. I just want happy, well-taken care of dogs to move in next door!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I really hope so. When we first moved in, the landlord himself lived there and had two tiny dogs (chi mixes) he left outside basically from 5 am to 11 pm, and they would YAPYAPYAP sooo much. I tried to talk to him about it once and he got all angry and basically said "well the lady across the street, her dogs bark all the time too so I don't need to do anything about mine so deal with it." I was so happy when he moved out lol. I just want happy, well-taken care of dogs to move in next door!!!
    Thatís sooooo rude!! I mean you canít prevent your dogs from ever barking ever but at least get them inside.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast