Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Army ball!!!

1. Regular Member

First Army ball!!!

Advertisements
    Hi friends!! So DB messaged me the other day and told me that he has a ball after the redeploys! He's super pumped about it (it's his first one too) and excited for us to have a night to dress up together. I'm excited too, but at the end of the day, I know it's a work event for him, and I'm a representation of him for the evening.

Assuming it fits, I'm going to wear one of my old prom dresses. I want to go back in time and thank 16 year old me for picking plain, solid colored dresses and not a prom-y prom dress It covers everything and isn't loud or flashy, so I'm not worried about my attire being appropriate.

My question is actually about makeup. What's too much for an Army ball? I'm not planning on going in there with a full face beat or anything, but when I do my makeup for special occasions I tend to like darker eyeshadows and a little glitter. Again, I'm not talking Instagram makeup here -- I don't really wear eyeliner or wear more than two eyeshadows at a time, lol, and by glitter I guess I really mean a pressed glitter pigment eyeshadow (like the Urban Decay Moondust eyeshadows are my favorite thing in the WORLD). It's shimmery but not loose glitter lol. I just don't want to walk in looking like your emo cousin in 2007 compared to the other ladies there. I've also tossed around the idea of just doing a traditional "occasionwear" makeup look that's extremely light on the eyes -- safe, but way less me. But the night's not about me, it's about DB and his job. Perspective!

So those of you who have been to balls, what would you say is too much in terms of makeup? Mine's not until spring, so I have plenty of time to experiment with looks, try things out, and toss around ideas until then!

TIA! Y'all are so amazing over here with advice for this kind of stuff!
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly just about any make up short of face painting is fine. Maybe find a similar look in Pinterest and post it just to be sure, but you are probably fine with most things that aren't super out there.

Also, is the prom dress floor length? It really should be. This is a formal event, and technically formal (or black tie) means floor length. You'll see people who wear shorter, but there are definitely those who think that's inappropriate, and because you are at your DB work party, I think it's never a good idea to push that boundary. Being above reproach, even if you think it's a silly rule, is always the safer bet.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Honestly just about any make up short of face painting is fine. Maybe find a similar look in Pinterest and post it just to be sure, but you are probably fine with most things that aren't super out there.

Also, is the prom dress floor length? It really should be. This is a formal event, and technically formal (or black tie) means floor length. You'll see people who wear shorter, but there are definitely those who think that's inappropriate, and because you are at your DB work party, I think it's never a good idea to push that boundary. Being above reproach, even if you think it's a silly rule, is always the safer bet.
    Okay awesome! I had a feeling I was overthinking it, I just didn't want to assume I was overthinking and end up embarrassing myself (and him).

The dress is floor length, no worries there.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    If you like it, wear it. Dress, shoes, makeup, whatever.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    If you like it, wear it. Dress, shoes, makeup, whatever.
    yea, wear what you feel good in!

Just don't drink too much, that's the only advice I have.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    yea, wear what you feel good in!

Just don't drink too much, that's the only advice I have.
    The best part about being straight edge is I'll never embarrass myself from being inebriated at something like this

Thanks for the responses y'all! I work myself up a lot, so "dress appropriately but wear what you're comfortable in" is more helpful advice than you'd think lol.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _andimcosette View Post
    The best part about being straight edge is I'll never embarrass myself from being inebriated at something like this

Thanks for the responses y'all! I work myself up a lot, so "dress appropriately but wear what you're comfortable in" is more helpful advice than you'd think lol.
    that's good. There is nothing more embarrassing than your husband's unit calling you the tank.....