Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being scammed?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Am I being scammed?

Advertisements
    Hey there! Iím new here and hoping to receive some advice. Iíve been talking to a guy I met online (nothing in person yet) for about a month now who says heís in the military (paratrooper) and stationed overseas in the ďSyria West Africa borderlands.Ē We canít Skype due to security reasons but we use Facebook Messenger. I want to send him a care package but he says that the likelihood of him receiving it is slim to none. Last night he did say that if I wanted to send money that that would help him a lot but before I do he needs to let the base financial secretary know how much and then he can give me an address. This raised some bells for me. He also says that he doesnít know when heíll be home, that all he is being told is ďa few more weeks.Ē I want to believe that he is real but Iím also aware that this could very well be a scam/catfish. Any thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    I was CERTAIN you were being scammed by the sentence "we can't skype.... but facebooke messenger is okay," and by the time he said you could send money- no no no.
    Run.
    Scammer, 100%.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kseibel05 View Post
    Hey there! Iím new here and hoping to receive some advice. Iíve been talking to a guy I met online (nothing in person yet) for about a month now who says heís in the military (paratrooper) and stationed overseas in the ďSyria West Africa borderlands.Ē We canít Skype due to security reasons but we use Facebook Messenger. I want to send him a care package but he says that the likelihood of him receiving it is slim to none. Last night he did say that if I wanted to send money that that would help him a lot but before I do he needs to let the base financial secretary know how much and then he can give me an address. This raised some bells for me. He also says that he doesnít know when heíll be home, that all he is being told is ďa few more weeks.Ē I want to believe that he is real but Iím also aware that this could very well be a scam/catfish. Any thoughts?
    He's asking for money. It's 100% a scam.

4. Senior Member
    Scam. If he has internet access he can Skype. If he were for real there’d be no reason for him to be asking for money.
  5. Senior Member
    Yup. Scam. Absolutely and without any doubt. In addition to what the others said, there is no such thing as "base financial security"
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well crap lol. Thank you everyone for confirming my fears
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I was CERTAIN you were being scammed by the sentence "we can't skype.... but facebooke messenger is okay," and by the time he said you could send money- no no no.
    Run.
    Scammer, 100%.
    That's what I thought too! But he was like "Its for security reasons" and I am in no position to challenge that.
  8. Senior Member
    I’m so sorry. What PP’s have said. Anytime they ask for money it’s 100% a scam.
  9. Senior Member
    That's what I thought too! But he was like "Its for security reasons" and I am in no position to challenge that.
    Facebook isn't more secure than Skype?! A friend of mine is a paratrooper I've known him 12 years now since before he was a paratrooper I think he only had a year in the army when we met. Anyways he won't even use FB when deployed certain places so I would definitely challenge that!

Bottom line don't send money!
  10. Senior Member
    if they were concerned about security, he would not be on facebook.

I think there should be a sticky (if there isn't already?) about how to spot a scammer.

1. never send money
    2. If they can use facebook, they can skype
    3. If they are in the military, they have a .mil email and can email you from that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast