Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I知 new to this.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

I知 new to this.

Advertisements
    Hey everyone,
    My boyfriend is a marine. He just came home for thanksgiving and had to go back to base! I知 having a hard time dealing with him not being with me. I feel like a cry baby or and emotionally basket case. How does everyone else deal with it or any ideas to help cope would be great. I知 looking for some friends on here to help and support each other.
    Thank you
  2. Senior Member
    Welcome I think everyone deals in their own way, I try to focus on other things, but I have 2 kids and 2 dogs and a full time job so I have a lot to distract me that being said some days are still harder than others, sometimes I look at photos of us or before he deployed he made a teddy bear with his voice recorded on it so I'll play the bear!
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    Welcome I think everyone deals in their own way, I try to focus on other things, but I have 2 kids and 2 dogs and a full time job so I have a lot to distract me that being said some days are still harder than others, sometimes I look at photos of us or before he deployed he made a teddy bear with his voice recorded on it so I'll play the bear!
    Especially the teddy bear with his voice on it. That along with Skype calls are what got me through the last deployment. I hope you feel better soon.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I also tend to focus on other things. With DH on sea duty I have gotten pretty involved with the FRG which gives me a lot of non-missing DH things to focus on and has also helped me make friends in a new place. I also find having a countdown of some sort helps me--I have the app Doing Time on my phone and I like that it shows me the percentage complete/left.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Haylay234 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    My boyfriend is a marine. He just came home for thanksgiving and had to go back to base! I’m having a hard time dealing with him not being with me. I feel like a cry baby or and emotionally basket case. How does everyone else deal with it or any ideas to help cope would be great. I’m looking for some friends on here to help and support each other.
    Thank you
    welcome!

I met my ex (who was also a marine) around Thanksgiving and the first time I had to take him back to base, I bawled like a freaking baby. He deployed about a month after we started dating and I learned the hard way how to deal with being apart for our relationship. I'd say find things to fill the time you're apart, whatever that looks like for you. Instead of focusing on being miserable without him, learn to be happy on your own and do things for yourself! Or even do new stuff! I loved to try new things and spent my time working a two brand new jobs, getting into grad school, and playing on a recreational kickball team once a week. These things really made the time apart fly by and I actually found myself enjoying my new hobbies/jobs. Though it sucked being away from him I wouldn't have pushed myself to go outside of my comfort zone with him nearby. You could also try to spend more time with friends - go to a movie, grab dinner, go on a mani/pedi date, whatever! I also want to suggest weekly Skype dates, whenever you can! My SO now isn't in the military but lives 3.5 hours away and though we see each other fairly often on weekends, it's still nice to have a little FaceTime/Skype date every now and then.
  6. Regular Member
    Its hard, but it gets easier with time. When I first started LD with my now DH I had anxiety like crazy. I kept busy, went to the gym, went back to school and started trying new things with my friends. I used to get so annoyed when everyone said that but honestly thats the best thing you can do. Like another poster posted I liked having a count down until we could see each other again. I would try to plan activities and new places for us to go the next time we saw each other. Right now he is deployed, so I work on care packages and have been We have been LD for over and year and it will be another year until we live together. The distance sucks, but it makes you so much stronger.