Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Deployment Package!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Duh Deployment Package!

Advertisements
    I need some advice about what to put into a deployment package!!!
    I'm kind of stumped because he has access to most of his favorite foods for the time being.
    What do I put in it? I have the box all decorated and everything and I also have a long letter to send to him as well as some pictures but I'm looking to spoil my marine. I want to send cookies and brownies but I'm not sure how to pack them so they stay fresh and don't go stale before he gets them! I need some help with this!
  2. Regular Member
    Glad it is getting cooler everywhere.
    I sent (among other things) dark chocolate chips (like you put in cookies) by request, which melted considering where it was sent. DH said he needed a hammer to break it up as it was one solid roll upon arrival but "it was well worth it". lol
    This was DH's request multiple times over the summer. (Just wrapped it in ziplocks.)
    Based on that, my suggestion - whatever your Marine REALLY likes-- send it and he will find a way to eat it, wherever he is.
  3. Regular Member
    I've heard that a Pringles can is a good way to package cookies within a care package without them getting smashed in transit. I've also heard (generally) that putting a piece of white bread inside a sealed container with cookies/brownies helps keep them from getting dried out or stale too quickly.
  4. Regular Member
    I'm working on sending my DH a care package. I'm sending him beef jerky, slim jims, Christmas cookies (I was told to pack the box in cereal boxes) I'm sending a stocking full of his favorite candies, a devotional book and I got some of the flavors to add to water since he's on a ship and the water taste terrible. I found a lot of ideas on pinterest on themed boxes and it even has different ways to pack items depending on what you are sending. Also, on Etsy I found care package decorations that are very reasonably priced.
  5. Regular Member
    While DH was deployed, I sent a wide variety of Jerky (beef/chicken/turkey with different types of seasonings) which was a huge hit. I also sent good ground coffee and sugar in the raw packets (since he prefers that in coffee). Stupid expensive boxers that were super breathable.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelis View Post
    I've heard that a Pringles can is a good way to package cookies within a care package without them getting smashed in transit. I've also heard (generally) that putting a piece of white bread inside a sealed container with cookies/brownies helps keep them from getting dried out or stale too quickly.
    Have you tried this? Did it work? I want to send home made cookies but I am scared they won't survive the overseas trip...it takes about 16 days to get there (based on last care package) when I bake cookies they never last in the house more than 3 days so I have no idea if they stay fresh that long!! Could I freeze them and send them frozen and then they'd just thaw during the trip?
  7. Regular Member
    My guy requested energy drinks and coffee He can't get energy drinks at the PX and apparently the chow hall coffee is gross. Idk how I'm going to ship energy drinks, but I'm going to get some local coffee for him to send over there.

I'm also planning on sending him cookies and a New Years Cake. I've read that vacuum sealing cookies will help get them over there without going stale, and cakes should stay okay so long as they're wrapped in plastic and not iced.

By the way, if anyone has shipped carbonated energy drinks overseas before and has any suggestions on how to package them, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    Have you tried this? Did it work? I want to send home made cookies but I am scared they won't survive the overseas trip...it takes about 16 days to get there (based on last care package) when I bake cookies they never last in the house more than 3 days so I have no idea if they stay fresh that long!! Could I freeze them and send them frozen and then they'd just thaw during the trip?
    I wouldn't freeze them after you bake them; the cookies will go bad from thawing on the trip over there. You can generally freeze raw cookie dough to bake later, but not baked cookies. You're going to want to keep as much air out of the packaging as possible. There are a ton of shipping suggestions (like the vacuum sealing I read about) on Pinterest!
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend freezing them, the moisture from the thawing process will likely ruin them in transit. I haven't tried the Pringles can trick myself, just heard about it from others, but I learned about the white bread trick from my grandmother- she would put the bread into tins where she stored Christmas cookies...we're a big Italian family, so we cook and bake in bulk and she would get started at least a week out from Christmas baking cookies and they would still be fresh on Christmas day.