Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wedding Advice

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Wedding Advice

Advertisements
    Hi everyone,

My fiance is in the Navy and we got engaged right before he left on deployment for six months. While he is away, I've been trying to plan our wedding. I've seen other Navy wives/spouses that are able to have weddings while in the military however I am not sure how they are able to do this...I've heard all types of advice from different people that we should go ahead and set a date and if he can't attend or has to deploy during that time to have wedding insurance as a backup. I don't want to do this and have even considered doing a destination elopement wedding when he gets back. I just don't want to have a courthouse wedding for personal reasons. Also, I am not looking to have a big wedding just a small intimate one that my family can attend. Any advice on how to accomplish this when he gets back from deployment next year?

-Auston
  2. Senior Member
    If you don't need all the traditional bells and whisltes, you can put together a wedding in a month. I'd probably go that route and prepare as much as possible ahead of time (buy the dress, etc.), then wait until he is home and the put in place the location and date specific details. If you have any friends that can contribute (things like making a cake, officiating the ceremony, etc.) that's best because then you don't have to worry about finding vendors available on short notice. Also, if anyone has a yard where you could hold the event, that would be perfect.

Even a destination elopement can be tough to plan, depending on what you are imagining, because you will likely need to plan on a tight timeline.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyaus View Post
    I don't want to do this and have even considered doing a destination elopement wedding when he gets back. I just don't want to have a courthouse wedding for personal reasons. Also, I am not looking to have a big wedding just a small intimate one that my family can attend. Any advice on how to accomplish this when he gets back from deployment next year?

-Auston
    What do you mean by a destination elopement wedding? Trying to understand what parts of that would differ from a courthouse wedding and why one might work as apposed to the other in order to offer suggestions.
  4. Senior Member
    If you have a general idea when he is supposed to return....you can do it during the leave time. generally they get a week or two of leave after deployment to recoup from everything. Talk to the venders about being able to change things/cancel things with in so much time. At this point you really have to do your homework with venders and all. If if its just family let them know your intentions and keep them updated at best. My sister had to move her wedding date due to her deployment.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Since you don't want anything huge you can plan ahead. Buy anything you can now and do the rest when you have a time frame. Look into family and friends properties for venues as well.