Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R&R - Work

1. Senior Member

R&R - Work

Advertisements
    OK...so my DH is situated and has spoken to who he needs to about his R&R, because he's deployed over a year he will get 2 weeks R&R and we wanted to go to Europe.

I get 2 weeks paid vacation a year, I've been with my company for 3 years, I have covered for the bosses while they have been gone longer than 2 weeks, the owner's son also works for the company and he has been gone for his honey moon, for ski vacations immediately following Christmas holidays, for music festivals, etc. I also had to wait a full year before getting any paid vacation per the "rules" however since my hire 2 new employees (both male) have been hired and they got to take paid time off almost immediately, one for a honeymoon and one for his daughter being born.

I am giving my employers 6 months notice that I want to take my 2 weeks for 2018 at once to visit my DH for R&R and we want to start making plans/booking tickets/hotels etc because we're planning to meet in Europe and we want to get things settled far in advance while things are cheaper. I have also had to coordinate with my mother who lives in Canada as she will be watching my children.

My boss said he needs to give it some thought, he doesn't want me to take more than a week at a time...I appreciate my job and they have been very nice to me, I have gotten several raises since starting here but I also know it's because I do a really good job. They don't want me to be gone for that long because when other people are gone I can basically do their jobs for them but when I am gone no one can handle all my jobs so nothing gets done...while I understand that sucks I don't like being punished for being good at my job.

If they flat out deny it I am tempted to find a different job, while I really don't want to and I make good money here I don't feel like I am being treated fairly...but I am also a single mom with kids and leaving a secure job would also be a risk...but my DH is gone for 14+months and I want to see him and take this once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Europe...

I don't know...I'm all kinds of confused right now...advice would be appreciated...
  2. Senior Member
    Is your job one where you can work ahead so your absence won't be felt as much while you're gone? Do you have any other job prospects?

I mean honestly if your coworkers have been able to do this before it does seem really unfair that your boss has to think about it when you're giving this much notice. I get why they wouldn't want you to go for that long but a job shouldn't be your entire life.
  3. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Speaking from the employers side, it sucks when employees are gone. We have a policy that says the same thing your employer is, you can take your two weeks of vacation, but not at the same time. It's hard to get things done when key personal are gone. However, I've done the "I've got to think about it" when employees have wanted an extended vacation and it basically because we wanted to meet (all the firms' partners) to see if we had anything major we knew about during that time and how to work around it if that person was gone.

Hopefully that is what your boss is doing and you will get your two week European adventure!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Is your job one where you can work ahead so your absence won't be felt as much while you're gone? Do you have any other job prospects?

I mean honestly if your coworkers have been able to do this before it does seem really unfair that your boss has to think about it when you're giving this much notice. I get why they wouldn't want you to go for that long but a job shouldn't be your entire life.
    I handle invoices and estimates for a construction company...the owners are able to leave because I can handle payroll if they are gone, the project supervisors are able to leave because I can manage job costs/ordering supplies/ or handle sub contractors if a project supervisor is gone. However, no one seems to be able to cover estimates or invoicing for 2 weeks - and as the boss likes to say without invoices there's a cash flow issue. I can log in remotely and have offered to do so from Europe (as hotels will have wifi) but they don't like me to log in remotely, they prefer I work from the office.

I do not currently have other job prospects and they pay me very well, but I live in a booming city and I do not think I would have a problem finding a different job if needed...however having 2 small kids and no help here (no family, and with DH deployed no other help around with the kids) it can be difficult as if my kids are sick I have to stay home. That being said I also voluntarily come in 30 minutes early every single day to make up for the chance that my kids "may" be sick...and that hasn't happened in a year (knock on wood)...
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Did I miss when you got married?

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Did I miss when you got married?
    NO lol my bad I typed the wrong thing - DB
  7. Senior Member
    Why canít you go for just a week?
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    OK...so my DH is situated and has spoken to who he needs to about his R&R, because he's deployed over a year he will get 2 weeks R&R and we wanted to go to Europe.

I get 2 weeks paid vacation a year, I've been with my company for 3 years, I have covered for the bosses while they have been gone longer than 2 weeks, the owner's son also works for the company and he has been gone for his honey moon, for ski vacations immediately following Christmas holidays, for music festivals, etc. I also had to wait a full year before getting any paid vacation per the "rules" however since my hire 2 new employees (both male) have been hired and they got to take paid time off almost immediately, one for a honeymoon and one for his daughter being born.

I am giving my employers 6 months notice that I want to take my 2 weeks for 2018 at once to visit my DH for R&R and we want to start making plans/booking tickets/hotels etc because we're planning to meet in Europe and we want to get things settled far in advance while things are cheaper. I have also had to coordinate with my mother who lives in Canada as she will be watching my children.

My boss said he needs to give it some thought, he doesn't want me to take more than a week at a time...I appreciate my job and they have been very nice to me, I have gotten several raises since starting here but I also know it's because I do a really good job. They don't want me to be gone for that long because when other people are gone I can basically do their jobs for them but when I am gone no one can handle all my jobs so nothing gets done...while I understand that sucks I don't like being punished for being good at my job.

If they flat out deny it I am tempted to find a different job, while I really don't want to and I make good money here I don't feel like I am being treated fairly...but I am also a single mom with kids and leaving a secure job would also be a risk...but my DH is gone for 14+months and I want to see him and take this once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Europe...

I don't know...I'm all kinds of confused right now...advice would be appreciated...
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    NO lol my bad I typed the wrong thing - DB
    You accidentally typed DH 3 times?

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    You accidentally typed DH 3 times?
    I guess it was a slip, I had read someone else's post and it was DH so I just accidentally typed the wrong thing. Not sure how that matters? We don't plan to ever get legally married but we live together and are life partners, commitment wise we are just as committed to doing life together...

The flights are 13 hours to get there, plus the expense of the flights, plus I am flying with my children to Canada so my mom will watch them (add another day on each end, plus another $1500) it's just not worth it to go for a week...if I'm gone for 2 weeks I get 11 days in Europe with DB...if I am gone for a week I would end up with like 4 days for $3k? I think I'd find a new job before doing that...
  10. Senior Member
    A lot of employers wouldnít let an employee take ALL of their vacation at once. And saying youíre a good employee and come half an hour early a lot, etc doesnít mean youíre entitled to take vacation whenever you want and take all your vacation all at once. Thatís still at the discretion of your boss. If he says no, not much you can do about it and just quitting because you canít have your way is pretty irresponsible being a single mom and selfish to be quite honest. You have a family to think about and just because you canít go to Europe for two weeks instead of just one, youíre going to just jeapordize your only income?

I went to Italy for a week and had lots of fun. If you time it right (like I did) you take weekends and get 11 days (minus travel time)
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast