Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: need help!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

need help!

Advertisements
    I could really use some help with a situation I seem to have put myself in. I met a soldier through an online dating site who I happily connected with over a few messages. There are just some red flags waving but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid and he is being honest with me or this is a huge scam that I'm about to get involved in. I could really use some advice! So here's the story. He told me he is currently deployed to Pakistan. He's able to text message me but he told me he had to pay in order to make phone calls and that he has no access to his money. Which doesn't make sense since I dated a Marine who deployed to Iraq and we were able to talk on the phone and he made purchases all the time. Anyways so here's the big scam dilemma. After telling him about some personal issues I am currently going through he tells me he can come home but has to pay 17500 dollars. He asked me for my bank information (super red flag) and said the money would be transferred into my account and then I would need to pay the service leave office. Here's the thing, he said an FBI agent would be contacting me to make sure it was safe. Sorry for the length but I could really use some help. Thanks!
  2. Regular Member
    Oh my goodness DO NOT give him your bank information!! Definitely a scam
  3. Regular Member
    What parts made you believe this was NOT a scam? Don't give him your info. Block him immediately.
  4. Senior Member
    100% a scam. Absolutely no question. I'm sorry. Drop all contact with him immediately. If you gave him any personally info, contact your bank to get everything changed. Immediately.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Regular Member

Thumb Down SCAM - RUN AWAY

Quote Originally Posted by lostmarbles View Post
    I could really use some help with a situation I seem to have put myself in. I met a soldier through an online dating site who I happily connected with over a few messages. There are just some red flags waving but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid and he is being honest with me or this is a huge scam that I'm about to get involved in. I could really use some advice! So here's the story. He told me he is currently deployed to Pakistan. He's able to text message me but he told me he had to pay in order to make phone calls and that he has no access to his money. Which doesn't make sense since I dated a Marine who deployed to Iraq and we were able to talk on the phone and he made purchases all the time. Anyways so here's the big scam dilemma. After telling him about some personal issues I am currently going through he tells me he can come home but has to pay 17500 dollars. He asked me for my bank information (super red flag) and said the money would be transferred into my account and then I would need to pay the service leave office. Here's the thing, he said an FBI agent would be contacting me to make sure it was safe. Sorry for the length but I could really use some help. Thanks!
    Short answer: If you have to wonder if it is a scam... it is.

You are not paranoid. That little voice telling you that this is a scam, is right - LISTEN to it.
    This is obviously a scam as others have said, but I am just naturally curious about the details that make people fall for this stuff-- is he an American? I am quite sure a plane ticket from Pak isn't 17k. Why would the FBI be contacting you about a soldier's pay or the "safety" of it?
    Have you run the content of his text messages and that phone number through Goggle to look for matches to known scams?

Even if you find nothing, here are my thoughts.
    I have been in many jails and prison (due to work).. don't much care for them. I am guessing you wouldn’t either. To avoid that possibility, ditch this scammer ASAP. Some stranger is not worth the risk of giving up your freedom. At best he is a catfish focused on taking every dollar you have (while stealing your time and possibly breaking your heart). He could be involving you in the criminal acts of money laundering, check kiting, fraud, etc., OR it could be even worse.

Be sure of one thing -- if you do anything this persons asks of you--you may well get to meet a real law enforcement agent.

Block him, change your email (as you are now probably on a list and will get many more of these scams) stop all contact and provide NO information to him. If you think he has any access to your financial info, change your bank acct number, credit cards, passwords, etc. FORGET he ever existed. Don't even say "later dude" just get

Lastly, you probably should fwd his info to law enforcement.

This is not my field of expertise, but a quick Google search showed a TON of websites on this issue - here are a couple that might help.

https://www.army.mil/article/67457/A...romance_scams/

Are You Dating an Army Soldier or a Fake? | Military Romance Scam

Hopefully the followig info is up to date.

WHERE TO GO FOR HELP

Report the theft to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (FBI-NW3C Partnership) at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.

Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft.

Your report helps law enforcement officials across the United States in their investigations.

You can report scams by phone at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338) or TTY, 1-866-653-4261.

You can report scams by mail at Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC 20580.

Report the fraud to the Federal Trade Commission on Nigerian Scams via email at spam@uce.gov.

For more information on CID visit U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command.
  6. Senior Member
    In what world would this not be a scam?
  7. Senior Member
    I was convinced it was a scam based on his ability to text and not call. Nope. Cease all contact.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I was convinced it was a scam based on his ability to text and not call. Nope. Cease all contact.
    Me too ^^ That alone screams "scam," and the classic "I need money to buy a flight home" is pretty much the go-to scam from what I have heard around here. I mean I think it is incredibly obvious this is all fake, I hope you do too, but of course take everyone's advice here if you were actually undecided.