Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving choices...again. Opinions?

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Moving choices...again. Opinions?

Advertisements
    You guys always look at things logically so I thought I'd lay it all out here and see what your thoughts were.

We moved an hour south to NKY from home where my parents, siblings, grandparents...my whole family and best friend live. DH's family is an hour from there as opposed to over 2 from where we currently live. We moved to get rid of DH's 1.5 hour commute (with rush hour). We've been down here 2.5 years and in our house for a year and a half (2 in February). We had been down here less than a year when DH deployed and I was an hour away from my entire support system the whole time he was gone. With baby number two on the way...I don't want to do that again and we're both thinking he'll deploy at least 1-2 more times before he gets out.

Well, jokes on us. His company is opening a new building IN the city we moved from We have been going back and forth about him trying to get transferred up there to get us closer to family and moving home (AND more than likely a promotion if he was able to get the transfer)....but we'll be giving up a house and street and neighborhood we LOVE and just got how we want it

BUT my grandpa had a stroke last year and has a ton of doctor appointment follow ups and therapies that my mom keeps having to miss work for to take him and if we were closer to home, since I'm not currently working....I could alleviate a lot of that burden from her plate. My grandma has also recently been diagnosed with Alzhiemers and Parkinsons so her health should start declining in the next few years doctors are predicting. I am really close with my mom and miss being able to drive over for dinner and her help of watching Sydney so we can just go out for a date night.

Ultimately, I've told him it's his call and I'll support whatever decision he makes....but I really want to go home. We're building a life here and it'll be fine if we have to stay....but I want to be closer to family. Not to mention the fact that my license didn't transfer so I make crap down here and it isn't worth it for me to work (literally doesn't cover daycare and my school loans) and if we went back to OH, I'd have the option to go back to work and actually contribute if I needed to.

Our house we built down here backs up to a wooded lot, is fenced in and we have done quite a few upgrades that should have helped add equity and we'll have equity when we sell more than likely....at the very least by the time we moved, we'll break even and not lose any money.

This is a jumbled, hot mess of a post. If you make it through, kudos to you. What would you do?
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Well from the perspective of someone who built their house and has been there for 4 years, if I were you I would NOT want to move It takes soooo long to build a house and then to get it feeling like a home that I don't know if I would be able to move after only having been there for 2 years.

Is the cost of living where you would be moving lower or higher in comparison to where you are now? What about housing prices? Would you be building another home or would you be looking at purchasing something that's already built and is there a good amount of availability in neighborhoods with good schools for Sydney and daycare for baby #2 if you do go back to work?

3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Well from the perspective of someone who built their house and has been there for 4 years, if I were you I would NOT want to move It takes soooo long to build a house and then to get it feeling like a home that I don't know if I would be able to move after only having been there for 2 years.

Is the cost of living where you would be moving lower or higher in comparison to where you are now? What about housing prices? Would you be building another home or would you be looking at purchasing something that's already built and is there a good amount of availability in neighborhoods with good schools for Sydney and daycare for baby #2 if you do go back to work?
    Honestly, the building process isn't bad. It was like 4 months. We're looking at both options. We DID get more house for our money down here, but we could get a comparable house without all of the upgrades we got here (granite, hardwoods etc). The school districts we're looking at are a little pricier to get in the better schools. Cost of living is basically the same, except for housing prices are slightly better down here.

I'll be planning on staying home again...but I have friends that could have watch her/them if I needed to and daycare is actually a little cheaper up there.

ETA: AND I've just got the house how I want it and it feels like home....but I can do it again to be closer to friends/family. I'd be willing to sacrifice it and now I know paint colors I love etc so we could recreate it

4. Senior Member
    I'd move if all the financial factors work out and you think you would be happier back there.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It seems like you have every reason to go and the only reason to stay is that you like your house. I feel like you could also find a house you like and afford back home. Maybe it’s because I’ve never owned a home, but it seems like the pros of moving way outway the pros of staying.

I Eelizah
  6. Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't move. That's just me though. An hour from family seems like nothing to us. Where we live now, DH has an office in town, but his PCS office is 1.5 hours away and he goes there 3-4x a week plus goes to HQ 2 hours away 2-3x a week.

Also when we lived in Va Beach, commutes were at least an hour to see friends.

I would stay in a house I loved and build equity. But, it could be totally different for you. Y'all have moved a lot and bought two houses. I would want to continue to settle in.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't move. That's just me though. An hour from family seems like nothing to us. Where we live now, DH has an office in town, but his PCS office is 1.5 hours away and he goes there 3-4x a week plus goes to HQ 2 hours away 2-3x a week.

Also when we lived in Va Beach, commutes were at least an hour to see friends.

I would stay in a house I loved and build equity. But, it could be totally different for you. Y'all have moved a lot and bought two houses. I would want to continue to settle in.
    I don't think an hour seems like very much either, but are you an hour away from *everything*? This could just be my baseless assumptions at play but I've always imagined that Kentucky would be one of the worst places to live. Some parts are pretty but is there stuff to do? Which city will your kids like better growing up? Where I lived in Louisiana you had to drive like an hour in either direction to do anything at all, but everything was shitty. I would never wanna raise kids there. But idk if Ohio is any better either.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't think an hour seems like very much either, but are you an hour away from *everything*? This could just be my baseless assumptions at play but I've always imagined that Kentucky would be one of the worst places to live. Some parts are pretty but is there stuff to do? Which city will your kids like better growing up? Where I lived in Louisiana you had to drive like an hour in either direction to do anything at all, but everything was shitty. I would never wanna raise kids there. But idk if Ohio is any better either.
    Isn't it all like in the Cincinnati metro area though? Like just on the other side of the state line?

I could be totally wrong but I think it's more civilized than Louisiana or South Georgia
  9. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Isn't it all like in the Cincinnati metro area though? Like just on the other side of the state line?

I could be totally wrong but I think it's more civilized than Louisiana or South Georgia
    we're literally like 20 minutes from Cincinnati here and 35ish from the other direction. We're close to a lot of stuff in both places. Definitely not in the middle of nowhere either place....I could just help my mom out so much more with my grandparents and have more help and be able to go to my nephews soccer games and just pop over for a bit to my parents. Aside from college, this is the farthest away from home I've ever lived and I'm not a fan

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    we're literally like 20 minutes from Cincinnati here and 35ish from the other direction. We're close to a lot of stuff in both places. Definitely not in the middle of nowhere either place....I could just help my mom out so much more with my grandparents and have more help and be able to go to my nephews soccer games and just pop over for a bit to my parents. Aside from college, this is the farthest away from home I've ever lived and I'm not a fan
    lmao idk anything about the geography up there! that's a relief.

I say do what makes you happiest. It seems like a bit of a financial rollercoaster to move yet again but if you can afford to, what does it matter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast