Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving choices

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Moving choices

Advertisements
    So we live in Wisconsin and 99% love it (I could use a little less snow lol) but my husband job sucks. He is gone Monday through Friday. In the 14 months heís been with this job heís been able to work local for about 1.5 months. Itís taking a toll on me. But the money is good. Decent salary ($50k) plus mileage and per diem. Benefits suck though and company insurance is like $900-$1200 a month.
    So dh was contacted for a job yesterday thatís potentially his dream job. It would be a huge step up in the career world. He would be doing his job that he did in the AF but as like the supervisor. They are also offering between $80-$90k dh has no degree so we have never through that kind of salary would happen. Benefits are good. But itís a contractor position on base so we arenít sure how good that is. The main down fall is itís in Alabama. I have no desire to move to AL.
    How do you decide between the place you love or a job you could love/finally be home?

Heís getting another call tomorrow to talk more about an interview and possible relocation help and just general job questions he has.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. Senior Member
    The headache of moving aside, $80-90k is gonna go super far in Alabama. What if you move, he works for a while and gets the experience in the civilian world for his resume, you continue living like you do on $50k and save the rest. Then you could move again and he'd be a more desirable candidate to do the job elsewhere.

Being gone 5 days a week is unreasonable for $50k imo. I'm not saying $50k is a bad salary but it's not enough to justify being miserable.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    How do you decide between the place you love or a job you could love/finally be home?
    I've spent 5+ years living in an area I have no desire to live in because of my husband's job.

I'd look at it more like is not seeing your husband 5 days a week for $50k worth it just because you like the area? For me, the answer is no. I would love to finally have a choice of where I live for once, but not if it forced me and DH to be apart for just a decent paycheck.

This sounds like a great opportunity. He knows the job, it pays very well, he'll get better benefits, and he'll be home every night. It seems like the obvious choice.

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The headache of moving aside, $80-90k is gonna go super far in Alabama. What if you move, he works for a while and gets the experience in the civilian world for his resume, you continue living like you do on $50k and save the rest. Then you could move again and he'd be a more desirable candidate to do the job elsewhere.

Being gone 5 days a week is unreasonable for $50k imo. I'm not saying $50k is a bad salary but it's not enough to justify being miserable.
    I’d prefer not to keep moving now that he’s out of the military. Two kids are in elementary school now. Plus I’ve been working on my nursing school pre reqs for a year and half now. Haven’t even checked to see what Alabama requires yet cause I’m gunna cry if I have to take more classes just to start nursing school lol.
    Other thing hold me here is my extended family is here and my parents plan to move up here in the next 2-4 years. My kids are getting to know their great grandparents (only ones left on either side).
    But you are right we can live like a king off of $80k down there.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I’d prefer not to keep moving now that he’s out of the military. Two kids are in elementary school now. Plus I’ve been working on my nursing school pre reqs for a year and half now. Haven’t even checked to see what Alabama requires yet cause I’m gunna cry if I have to take more classes just to start nursing school lol.
    Other thing hold me here is my extended family is here and my parents plan to move up here in the next 2-4 years. My kids are getting to know their great grandparents (only ones left on either side).
    But you are right we can live like a king off of $80k down there.
    I'm just saying, you don't have to live in Alabama forever. Idk anything about his job, is it something that has to be specific to an area or can he do it basically anywhere as long as there are job openings? If he does it for $80k in Alabama for a while and you save up a ton of money, pad his resume, finish nursing school, can you then not move back up to Wisconsin and hopefully get the same job there? I can totally understand not wanting to keep moving your kids around, but that amount of money is worth it imo if he gets to stay home and you're only moving 1-2 more times.
  6. Senior Member
    Have you been to Alabama? Depending on where you're at it might not be so bad. I like it more than I thought I would. I don't really like the bigger cities much, but the outskirts of these cities are actually quite pretty and peaceful. The beaches are gorgeous and you're close to a lot of other cool places. If I was in your shoes the biggest downfall of moving to me would be the distance from family, it sucks only getting to visit every now and then, but it sounds like you'll get a lot more time with your husband which would be very important to me.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Is it like an actual contractor job? 1099 employment type? Cuz that would explain the really high pay - those come with zero benefits and you have to pay your own social security and stuff. For those, you usually bring home around 50-60% of the paycheck.

But I would just have him ask stuff like - will the job STAY in alabama? It might be there now but could move to another base. What would the hours be like? Rotating shift work would be almost as bad as being gone 5 days a week. Does it have a contract where he'd have to stay for a certain amount of time? You say it's military focused work, could he ever translate it to more of civilian job later if he doesn't like it? Or would he be stuck doing military contract work forever? Does it involve any deploying or time away? DH has navy buddies who signed up as Raytheon contractors and they make like 100K+ but also had to go to Afghanistan and other places (was not disclosed really when they were hired).
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Is it like an actual contractor job? 1099 employment type? Cuz that would explain the really high pay - those come with zero benefits and you have to pay your own social security and stuff. For those, you usually bring home around 50-60% of the paycheck.

But I would just have him ask stuff like - will the job STAY in alabama? It might be there now but could move to another base. What would the hours be like? Rotating shift work would be almost as bad as being gone 5 days a week. Does it have a contract where he'd have to stay for a certain amount of time? You say it's military focused work, could he ever translate it to more of civilian job later if he doesn't like it? Or would he be stuck doing military contract work forever? Does it involve any deploying or time away? DH has navy buddies who signed up as Raytheon contractors and they make like 100K+ but also had to go to Afghanistan and other places (was not disclosed really when they were hired).
    I have him asking most of these questions, but you helped add a few more for him to ask. I’m not sure on the tax side but it does come with benefits. They have already sent him the benefits package. He won’t deploy. This is a quality assurance job and is 100% the job he did as active duty but as an NCO. He will be the civilian standing up the department and he’ll be in charge of the NCO’s.
    He’s been trying to find a job on the civilian side that is similar but it doesn’t really. It’s complicated.
    He has a phone call interview type thing at 5 today. We figured taking a phone call doesn’t hurt since we are both on the fence.
    As for leaving AL it gets harder if I get my nursing license there. Having to transfer it can be a headache.
    Thank you all for these questions cause it’s really helping me with things I’ve forgotten to ask!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I used to live in a horrible city filled with horrible people working a horrible job for horrible pay with travel constantly. So my argument is always to take a job that makes you/your family happy and allows you to spend time with the people you love. It's just not worth it to be miserable.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We decided not to take the job. They wanted dh to get sec + in 30 days before he would move down there. That’s a very hard test in under 30 days. Also we know nothing about Alabama. We just didn’t feel comfortable moving there with no knowledge. We really do love our small town in Wisconsin. The company did say they loved dh and his resume and will keep his application for jobs closer to WI and work from home jobs.
    This is one of the harder choices we have made because either choice pretty much felt wrong.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast