Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time guest to USMC Birthday Ball

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Confused First time guest to USMC Birthday Ball

Advertisements
    Hi everyone. I am new here and could really use some information, tips, tricks, and advice about the USMC Birthday Ball. It is in a month and I am freaking out. My boyfriend just let me know that he is wanting me to attend since he was recently stationed closer to home. I do not live on base as we are only dating and I am not sure at all how to do this life. I love him very much and I am exited I am just a nervous nelly and would really like to be the best I can possibly be as I will be reflecting my marine and he is so much more amazing than me...Any and all comments will be read over and over and greatly appreciated. I am looking at getting either a red dress that is flowy from the waist down and has a beaded top that goes to my neck and my lower back is open or a black mermaid dress with gold beaded accents that is strapless but the back is closed. I want to be modest but also flattering. I don't have much body as figure is as I am very thin and small chested. I will also be flying there alone so I will be doing my hair by myself. Any cute ideas that are low maintenance hair and make up ideas would be amazing. I never went to a prom or a homecoming dance aside from freshman year but I never really had to impress anyone let alone and be presentable in front of his whole base...
    Thank you all again in advance.
  2. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    77.93%
    The ball is a lot of fun! Ours is coming up pretty soon and I am very excited. Don't worry about going overboard with hair and makeup, keep it simple, clean, and mature. Be very respectful to everyone you meet, shake their hand, and please don't drink too much. Every year I see at least one or two girls getting walked out by their date. You are a reflection of your boyfriend so keep this is mind with your actions.

Both of your dresses sound beautiful. You will have so much fun!
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    14.01%
    Your dress choices sound fine! As for hair and makeup I usually check youtube and Pinterest for tutorials. Make sure you do a trial run before the ball though. I always wait to try a new updo the day of the ball and I can never get it to look like the one in the video lol Another tip is wear comfortable shoes! I always see girls taking off their strappy heels and walking around barefoot.

My favorite part of ball is the ceremony and all the traditions. Do not talk or play on your phone during the ceremony. A lot of Marines will leave after the ceremony or dinner, but we like to stay for the dancing.

4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    14.01%
    Double post
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 10-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    33%
    Marinemainsqueez, Thank you so much. I am unfortunately only 20 so I will not be able to part take in any drinking but thanks for the tip for next year. Simple is my kind of thing, I am not coordinated enough to do anything more than that. And thank you. I hope the one gets here in time.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    33%
    Idratherbehiking, thank you for the advice. I will definitely be looking on pintrest for something nice and mature. I am on there for anything and everything. And for sure, once I find one, I am going to have my sister help and I am going to try it every day after class just to make sure I get it correct and perfect. As well as makeup...I don't usually do makeup and when I do, it looks like a 5 year old did it... My date is almost as tall as me and I don't do heels very well so I am looking into something short heeled or even flats.
    As far as I know, we are staying for most of the time as our ride is another marine and his girl and he is very much the life of the party. I am very excited to be there and be a part of this with him, I just don't want to look like a fool. Lol.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    14.01%
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaRayna View Post
    Idratherbehiking, thank you for the advice. I will definitely be looking on pintrest for something nice and mature. I am on there for anything and everything. And for sure, once I find one, I am going to have my sister help and I am going to try it every day after class just to make sure I get it correct and perfect. As well as makeup...I don't usually do makeup and when I do, it looks like a 5 year old did it... My date is almost as tall as me and I don't do heels very well so I am looking into something short heeled or even flats.
    As far as I know, we are staying for most of the time as our ride is another marine and his girl and he is very much the life of the party. I am very excited to be there and be a part of this with him, I just don't want to look like a fool. Lol.
    Get a pack of make up brushes and watch some tutorials!

You're not going to look like a fool! Just follow what everyone else is doing. When they stand you stand, when they sit you sit. Really, the only things that will draw attention to you is if:
    - You're dressed like a hoochie
    - you're dancing like a hoochie
    - you're being disrespectful during the ceremony
    - you're stumbling around drunk
    - you're publicly fightng with your date

If you don't do those things then you will blend right in.

8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    83.05%
    I think everything I would recommend or have seen has been covered by idratherbehiking. Just go with the flow and be polite. I would check with your DB though, most of the balls I have been to required everyone to get hotels. And in many cases required you to stay overnight at a specific hotel to discourage drinking and driving. I can only think of one instance where that wasn't the case. There is a lot of tradition with the ceremony and it's nice to experience. Have fun!
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    14.01%
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I think everything I would recommend or have seen has been covered by idratherbehiking. Just go with the flow and be polite. I would check with your DB though, most of the balls I have been to required everyone to get hotels. And in many cases required you to stay overnight at a specific hotel to discourage drinking and driving. I can only think of one instance where that wasn't the case. There is a lot of tradition with the ceremony and it's nice to experience. Have fun!
    For our past Marine Corps balls they've always offered hotel rooms at a discounted rate, but reserving a room wasn't a requirement. This will be our 4th ball in a different state (about 2.5 hours away) so we will be getting a room, but I know several people who aren't staying overnight.

That being said, op I do recommend getting a room if it's in your budget. We usually close the ball down then go dancing at the club afterwards. There's always an after party somewhere.

10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    33%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Get a pack of make up brushes and watch some tutorials!

You're not going to look like a fool! Just follow what everyone else is doing. When they stand you stand, when they sit you sit. Really, the only things that will draw attention to you is if:
    - You're dressed like a hoochie
    - you're dancing like a hoochie
    - you're being disrespectful during the ceremony
    - you're stumbling around drunk
    - you're publicly fightng with your date

If you don't do those things then you will blend right in.
    Hoochie... lol. But okay, thank you. I feel so much better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast