Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time guest to USMC Birthday Ball

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I think everything I would recommend or have seen has been covered by idratherbehiking. Just go with the flow and be polite. I would check with your DB though, most of the balls I have been to required everyone to get hotels. And in many cases required you to stay overnight at a specific hotel to discourage drinking and driving. I can only think of one instance where that wasn't the case. There is a lot of tradition with the ceremony and it's nice to experience. Have fun!
    He hasn't really said much about it so far. I guess he doesn't know much either, it will be both of our first balls. We are both 20 so neither will be drinking so hopefully that isn't the case...I already made reservations. I am excited to be apart of it all tho. Thank you so much!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    For our past Marine Corps balls they've always offered hotel rooms at a discounted rate, but reserving a room wasn't a requirement. This will be our 4th ball in a different state (about 2.5 hours away) so we will be getting a room, but I know several people who aren't staying overnight.

That being said, op I do recommend getting a room if it's in your budget. We usually close the ball down then go dancing at the club afterwards. There's always an after party somewhere.
    I'm sure he will know of some where. We are staying in a different town that is closer to his base and near more of the things that he knows to do around town. I get free nights at certain hotels so we sued some of them up and got it decent.
  3. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    37.21%
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaRayna View Post
    I am looking at getting either a red dress that is flowy from the waist down and has a beaded top that goes to my neck and my lower back is open or a black mermaid dress with gold beaded accents that is strapless but the back is closed. I want to be modest but also flattering. .
    Can you post pictures? I love seeing the pictures people post when they're trying to decide what to wear to the balls

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    22.83%
    Quote Originally Posted by subgf71573 View Post
    Can you post pictures? I love seeing the pictures people post when they're trying to decide what to wear to the balls
    When I get them, yes. I will need advice.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    60.26%
    I studied Pinterest before the navy ball, they have etiquette pins and stuff. I was ready for receiving lines, pinkies out type stuff, went in afraid to breath.
    Relax. There was no receiving line for the last navy ball. I had my hair and make up done (and it was bad so I washed it off and re did my makeup) and felt over done. Maybe it was just because it was a smaller event? Not a lot of people went.
    point being
    don't forget to have fun

We are going to the navy ball this weekend and I am so excited!!!! Hot meal, no kids.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    27.57%
    For the Air Force ball, it is a pretty formal event the first year we went. This year, it was more laid back; but, they do stress the attire. Floor Length and don't look like a hooker. haha. There was a lady that came in with leggings and a long shirt. Another in a cocktail dress. Just something you don't do.

It was fun; but, I think we are going to wait a few more years before we go again.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    68.2%
    I'll join in all the advice everyone has already given. Definitely don't let yourself get so nervous you forget to enjoy yourself! My first ball was pretty nerve-wracking, as I was also worried about doing something incorrectly and embarrassing DB (never happened!) plus DB and I had only been dating a couple months at that point so we were still getting to know one another. When in doubt in reference to dress, hair, and/or makeup, always opt for classic and elegant. Flats can be fine- just choose something formal enough. And Pinterest is a great resource for all things, including ball etiquette; it helped calm some of my fears. I hope you'll show up dress pictures when they arrive!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12