Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions I can't seem to get answered 😭😭😭

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Questions I can't seem to get answered 😭😭😭

Advertisements
    OK,
    SO....
    I am a mommy of 1 and DH just enlisted and is heading out to basic. My questions seem to be pushed to the side lately by the recruiter (he keeps telling me to look at airforce.com) so I was wondering if anyone has any insight to the following.

DH wants to be a cryptologic linguist in German; he is an E3
    As far as I can tell, the only base he can go to is in Ohio. is that correct?
    Also, training is 2 years but is spread out in TX then CA then TX and D.C.? Will we be able to go with him? Will I have to pay out of pocket for all of that moving?
    OR
    If he finds out his home base, can we move in there while he is still in training?

My job is attempting to find me a transfer to wherever we end up but they keep pushing to find out NOW where that is going to be. So I need to kind of know these things. They're already being super lenient with me needing restricted hours while he's at basic so I can take our son to and from school and I Really want to stay with this company.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm not sure how the Air Force works but I'm pretty sure he won't know where he is going until after a portion of the training; I think my husband said in the Navy it was after A school. As for you living with him someone else will have to pitch in on that one because I didn't know my husband at the time he had early training but I think the rule is any training over 6 months you can go.
  3. Senior Member
    What is his AFSC - Air Force Specialty Code? An AFSC is the alpha-numeric code that identifies the specific job he is going into. Once you have the AFSC, you can usually look up things like how long his tech school will be. However, if he if what you are saying is he is going to be a 1N3X, but he does not know what language he will be studying, then all you can know at this point is his tech school will be between 240 and 480 days of training. Last I knew, most of the training is done in CA. The family can accompany the Airmen to that tech school in CA and the military will pay for the move. As far as moving to his first duty location, the military will only pay to move you there once he has hard copy orders to that base, and that is a long ways away.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm not sure on his code; all I know is Airborne Cryptologic Linguist (German)
    I guess what I am asking, because this is how I understood it, is what is the base that deals with this specialty? The recruiter briefly told us that there were only 2 or 3 that dealt with German linguists but when I went online, for an E3 I could only find one base.

Also, so if he has a hard copy of orders for a base (which I believe is week 2 of tech training -please correct me if I am wrong-) Then I can move the family to that base? or does he not get a hard copy of the orders until training is complete?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The rank means nothing. They don't break them down that only E-3 goes here...E-9 goes there. It all depends where the need it at is where he will go.

Can you move? You can move where ever you like; but, you will not get paid for it until you have orders that have your name on there where to go.

You will not know anything until he is done with basic and well into Tech School. He will get soft orders; but, nothing is set in stone until you have the official ones. They can change at any time.

I wouldn't be doing anything until you get the hard copy orders. You can only right now just get your house ready for a move and wait to see what happens.

Right now, there isn't much we can tell you until you get hard orders. Hope it helps.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    I am not sure that anyone here will be able to answer your question regarding what base he will end up with for his first duty station. I would not expect to him to receive hard copy orders for his first duty station until well into tech school, perhaps even right before he graduates. I don't understand why you would want to move there right away. Linguists have a very long tech school and it is accompanied. Are you saying you would move with him to tech school and then move to his first duty station as soon as you know what it is? You could do that, but it can create a logistical problem if you move ahead of him. The military only pays for one move, so if you were to you the military move to pay for your move, you would need to figure out how to get the stuff that stays behind with him moved to the duty station. Also, if he is on accompanied orders to tech school, he will only receive one house allowance - for his location.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ill first off say that he can want German all he wants but the AF doesn’t guarantee a language, just the job. So he will enlist as a 1A8 (airborne linguist) and will find out what language he got either upon arrival in Monterey or at the end of basic (I forget which). I believe all languages are at least 8 months (Spanish being the fastest) so you should be moving to Monterey if you wish. After completion of DLI your DH will go to an additional school in Texas but it shouldn’t be more than four months if everything goes smoothly so you probably won’t go but it’s considered a TDY. After that he will attend SERE training in Washington which is only a few weeks. Then he will go to his base. I don’t know what exact phase he finds out his base but I can ask. Linguists have so many schools and the wash out rate is very high so I’d assume it’s not until they graduate DLI. I have friends who scored high enough on The DLAB to get Arabic but ended up with Spanish. It all depends on what is needed at the time.
  8. Moderator

Yeah, he's probably gonna get Korean or Russian.

We were at DLI for two years (my husband was an Arabic linguist for the Air Force for 10 years- just got out)- the Air Force paid for us to move, but we did it ourselves because back then you could make a good amount of money by moving yourselves and we didn't have much stuff. We also went with him to Goodfellow for that portion of the training, which was five months long. We paid to get ourselves there, but since his orders were for DLI and Goodfellow was a TDY, we continued receiving housing allowance for Monterey, which is like 3X what it is for San Angelo. So it was NBD cost-wise. He had to get special permission to live with us instead of in the dorms, but it wasn't difficult. We had an apartment there. My husband was not airborne, so he didn't go to SERE school. We went straight from Goodfellow to Fort Gordon, and our household goods came to us from Monterey.

It is true that there are very, very few (comparatively) stations for linguists with certain target languages. In ten years, our progression went like this: DLI, Goodfellow, Gordon, DLI, Gordon, DLI, Gordon. We had orders to Germany at one point, and then they pulled those orders and sent us back... to Gordon. It is also true that he will almost definitely have zero say whatsoever in what language he gets. The Air Force does not accept linguists unless they qualify for the top category languages (the Army and Marines allow linguists who qualify for one tier and up, the Navy allows the next tier and up, and the Air Force requires the highest category for all) so they can assign whatever language is needed to every candidate who qualifies. My hubby was asked to write down his language of preference, he put down every possible language and didn't even include Arabic, and... ta-daaaa: Modern Standard Arabic, with Levantine and Iraqi dialects additionally. Needs of the Air Force. On the bright side, if he gets Russian you could go to Alaska, and if he gets Chinese you could go to Hawaii!

Linguist life is an EXCELLENT life as far as military dependency goes. It's a very difficult job, and it can be grueling and tedious, but it is extremely family-friendly, compared to most.
  9. Moderator

Oh also, when you're looking at things online, just know there's an exception to every rule. For linguists, it can depend on rank because they are such a small group, and sometimes the slots will be only for specific rank ranges. More often, you will see skill levels. Coming out of the first language course, he will be a level 1, and there are places only open to level 5, for instance. There will also be additional opportunities in various places where the language is needed, like embassy duty or defense attache, that he may be able to receive depending on his proficiency scores.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    These answers are a literal saving grace; and I have loads more if no-one minds!!
    1- if I choose to pay for my move, is that reimbursed later? or is that all out of my pocket never seen again?
    2- what does it even mean to be paid to move?
    3- if I want to be reimbursed for my move do I have to wait until basic is over? or could I start moving when he is in basic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast