Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAS and BAH

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

BAS and BAH

Advertisements
    My fiance and I are getting married soon and after he goes back to his AIT school. How long after he puts in paper work that were married will he get BAH and BAS. So I can move out to be closer to him??
  2. Senior Member
    Nobody knows lol. I'm pretty sure it was within a couple paychecks when I got married but for other people it can take several months. You get backpay though.
  3. Regular Member
    The longest part for me was waiting on the official marriage certificate. You get copies of the license and certificate right away, but they will only accept the official marriage certificate and that took us ~2 weeks to get in my town. However, they gave DH his BAH from the date we were married instead of starting it a month later (which is when we got everything in), so they essentially backdated it when we finally got all the paperwork in.
  4. Senior Member
    BAS is only something he gets for him. BAS is to pay back the meals they are serving him. BAS will appear when he is at his regular duty station. Also when he deploys BAS goes away.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can move closer to him; but, it will be on your dime. As for switching over, who knows. 4 weeks to 6 months. You'll get back pay.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    It took ours two months, but that can vary a ton
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There is no way to tell. But BAS is money for food for him, not his dependents. There are times he will not get it so what we have always done is budget without it. If he got it great, but if not we weren't short.

It sounds as though his orders to AIT are unaccompanied so I would be careful about moving out there. Not only would moving out there be on your dime but they may not pay for you to move to his duty station from there either. I would stay where you are, save as much as possible, and have him focus on school. Then, when he gets to his duty station, move out there. And someone else may be able to answer, but from what I know, they're not always allowed to live out of the barracks, even if married, during school.
  8. Senior Member
    He won't get BAS while he's in AIT. And he will be living in the barracks while in AIT. Unless it's 6 months or longer. So there really isn't you moving to be with him while he's there cause he still has restrictions
  9. Senior Member
    As others have said, BAS is something both single and married guys get, under the right circumstances, so assuming his situation qualifies, he should already be getting that (or get it as soon as he gets to the duty station). It's not a lot of money though. For 2017, it is $368.29 for enlisted and $253.63 for officers. (Yes, E gets more than O.)

BAH can take up to two months to kick in, or occasionally longer. However, it is back paid once it finally gets in the system, so you will get all the money eventually. So if you can swing it to float the money until the pay shows up, you could move immediately. If you are going to be more paycheck-to-paycheck, and you absolutely can't move until he has the money in hand, then you are probably just going to have to wait it out, and move after he gets it, but expect it to be 6-8 weeks.

As others have pointed out though, if you are in fact planning on moving to AIT with him, make sure you do your research and understand all the ramifications, and know whether he'll be allowed to live outside the barracks, and whether he'll get BAH at all (and if so, at what rate). It most likely makes sense for you to just wait until he gets to his first permanent duty station.
    Last edited by villanelle; 08-27-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    As others have said, BAH is something both single and married guys get, under the right circumstances, so assuming his situation qualifies, he should already be getting that (or get it as soon as he gets to the duty station). It's not a lot of money though. For 2017, it is $368.29 for enlisted and $253.63 for officers. (Yes, E gets more than O.)

BAH can take up to two months to kick in, or occasionally longer. However, it is back paid once it finally gets in the system, so you will get all the money eventually. So if you can swing it to float the money until the pay shows up, you could move immediately. If you are going to be more paycheck-to-paycheck, and you absolutely can't move until he has the money in hand, then you are probably just going to have to wait it out, and move after he gets it, but expect it to be 6-8 weeks.

As others have pointed out though, if you are in fact planning on moving to AIT with him, make sure you do your research and understand all the ramifications, and know whether he'll be allowed to live outside the barracks, and whether he'll get BAH at all (and if so, at what rate). It most likely makes sense for you to just wait until he gets to his first permanent duty station.
    BAS you mean? Didn't want to confuse the poster about the BAS and BAH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast