Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Strange email

1. Senior Member

Strange email

Advertisements
    I'm not going to disclose too much detail. But my sister got an email from an attorney and it just seems fishy. Although the attorney and firm stated in the email actually do exist.

My sister called me today stating she got an email from an attorney and gave me the gist of the email. Pretty much, a family member we never heard about passed away in London a few years ago. He has a large amount in his bank account that the attorney was told he needs to find the next of kin to give it to because soon it won't be transferable. The attorney said 50% would go to him and 50% to her.

Even if this is all true, my sister isn't the first in line as the next of kin. That's not important though. While there are several red flags in this email, like I said the firm and the attorney actually do exist. My sister called the firm and left a voicemail. I'm thinking it's just spam. Anyone else think the same, or would you look into it?
  2. Senior Member
    It's probably a spam. Where would they get her email from? The body of the email could say any firm that actually exists, but it doesn't mean the actual email comes from said firm.

Calling them would have been my first step too.
  3. Regular Member
    That sounds like spam to me. All the scammer has to do is look up a reputable firm and use that.
  4. Senior Member
    This is a pretty common scam. It's always a good idea to call the compant yourself when something doesn't seem quite right.
  5. Senior Member
    I think if anything were official it would be by post
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I am in law enforcement, this is a very common scam. If she can look up the IP address, I'm willing to bet it came from Jamaica or somewhere similar. I know this is an Australian article, but it's pretty spot on:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-o...eritance-scams
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Fraud. A letter like that would never come by email.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I think if anything were official it would be by post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Fraud. A letter like that would never come by email.
    Exactly what I thought. But all my sister saw was the $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by quackquack58 View Post
    I am in law enforcement, this is a very common scam. If she can look up the IP address, I'm willing to bet it came from Jamaica or somewhere similar. I know this is an Australian article, but it's pretty spot on:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-o...eritance-scams
    Yeah that's pretty much exactly what the email looks like.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I definitely think calling the source is exactly the right step. Scammers can be brilliant and very persuasive but calling known good numbers for valid information is the best way to go in my opinion. Especially when there is anything out of the ordinary.