Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Struggeling

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Struggeling

Advertisements
    I just joined this group today as I'm struggling with my husband and his PTSD, TBI, and flashbacks. I've known my husband since we were kids and have dated on and off most of our lives. We have currently been married a year and half and the last 3 years have been the hardest and best of my life. I thought having known him so long and having been in the military myself I could handle this but I find myself just wanting to break down more and more.

My husband spent almost 9 years in the Marine Corps and did 3 tours in the middle East. We finally got his VA benefits pushed through and have seen private doctors for councilling and medication which we had to stop due to the costs. With that said he loves to self medicate with beer which he feels helps but in reality makes the flashbacks worse.

His flashbacks as of the last few weeks have been more severe, lasting longer and harder to bring him back from. They have gotten so frequent lately that he's even attempted suicide but then refused treatment when taken to the hospital. He's also been very paranoid about people lately. We live in a small town and had dinner at our only cafe not too long ago. While we were there a guy who hasn't lived in town long was there and my usually friendly, talkative, and social husband was very paranoid about me talking to him because he didn't recognize the guy. He has had other strange behaviors that I have not before seen during his flashbacks and has been increasingly mean to family and even the dogs. If anyone has any ideas to help me cope with these changes and/or help him I would appreciate it.
  2. Senior Member
    look up EMDR. It is VERY helpful. If you can't get him into someone who specializes in it, you could find a way to introduce him to it. Alcohol makes it worse.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Does he have any friends he confides in? Maybe talk to one of his friends? Not to bombard him but just to start being there for him to vent or talk? just a thought.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    look up EMDR. It is VERY helpful. If you can't get him into someone who specializes in it, you could find a way to introduce him to it. Alcohol makes it worse.
    Working in Child welfare we send a lot of people to EMDR due to their trauma history. I have not done it myself, but have heard great success with people we have recommended it to.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineWife86 View Post
    I just joined this group today as I'm struggling with my husband and his PTSD, TBI, and flashbacks. I've known my husband since we were kids and have dated on and off most of our lives. We have currently been married a year and half and the last 3 years have been the hardest and best of my life. I thought having known him so long and having been in the military myself I could handle this but I find myself just wanting to break down more and more.

My husband spent almost 9 years in the Marine Corps and did 3 tours in the middle East. We finally got his VA benefits pushed through and have seen private doctors for councilling and medication which we had to stop due to the costs. With that said he loves to self medicate with beer which he feels helps but in reality makes the flashbacks worse.

His flashbacks as of the last few weeks have been more severe, lasting longer and harder to bring him back from. They have gotten so frequent lately that he's even attempted suicide but then refused treatment when taken to the hospital. He's also been very paranoid about people lately. We live in a small town and had dinner at our only cafe not too long ago. While we were there a guy who hasn't lived in town long was there and my usually friendly, talkative, and social husband was very paranoid about me talking to him because he didn't recognize the guy. He has had other strange behaviors that I have not before seen during his flashbacks and has been increasingly mean to family and even the dogs. If anyone has any ideas to help me cope with these changes and/or help him I would appreciate it.
    Wow, that sounds like it would be incredibly hard to deal with. And the increase in your husbands symptoms are probably scary for you and him. I'm sorry you are experiencing this and I can't imagine what you both must be going through. I think therapy is a great option to help your husband sift through his trauma and learn how to handle his own triggers and emotions because it sounds like that all may be hard for him to handle right now, understandably. You're right about how drinking may exacerbate some of his already occurring symptoms, so if he can learn to better cope his self-medicating may fade too. EMDR is a great option, marriage and family therapy, or seeing a licensed psychologist would be two more great options as well. Let us know how else we can help!
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    This is what I am worried I will experience when my boyfriend gets home from the Middle East. He is also in the Marines. Please keep us updated on how it goes and let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you out. I know I don't have much experience with this but if you ever just need someone to listen, feel free to message me directly.