Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My son

1. jvb
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

My son

Advertisements
    My son was a marine and served in Iraq twice, before he joined the marines we were very close but when he finished his service and returned home it has been very difficult for me to have a relationship with him. He seems mad at me and blames me for everything, time has not helped, he has not stayed in touch very much and does not visit very often, there is a strain on our relationship but also with the rest of the family, blaming me and addresses me with little respect. A few months ago he sent me an email explaining that his relationship with me is toxic and accused me of things that are just not true. He ask that I respect his decision to be left alone. I have sent one text asking if everything is ok. His response was "good." Since he has been out of the military he has mostly lived out of state and moves from one place to another working as a nurse, his last move that I am aware of was 2 months ago and I am not sure where he is. Any advice? He said in his email that he was seeing a therapist and with the therapist help he decided to cut all ties. What can I do?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

honestly--respect what he has asked for.

He is working with a therapist if they recommended cutting ties there has to be a reason. I think for the time being take a step back and let him deal with his demons or past issues the way he has asked to.
  3. jvb
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for your advice, I just don't want him to think that his family does not care, but we are all leaving him alone.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvb View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I just don't want him to think that his family does not care, but we are all leaving him alone.
    then tell him "I will respect your wishes, but know I'm always here for you."
    then give him space.