Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What Would You Do?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

What Would You Do?

Advertisements
    Alright...I know there will probably be no one who is (has been/will be) in this actual situation but I'm hoping the concept is relatable enough to get some opinions.

I'm due for a new insulin pump and I'm trying to decide between doing what I *want* versus doing what is the more practical choice. If you aren't familiar, it's basically across any insurance company in the US that when you get a pump, it is under warranty for four years then, when the four years is up your insurance will pay for a new one (with or without a copay, depending on your insurance and plan).

Tricare prime provides this with zero copay for the pump itself, as well as the supplies that you order every three months, which is extremely nice.

Basically, I could stick with the same pump I have and just get the newest version of it, because all my leftover supplies are compatible. OR I can switch to a different company and pump, and get a new shiny toy that has some features I like better but I will be starting my stock of supplies from scratch.

The reason I'm debating is because I will likely be moving on from Tricare (or switching versions) before this pump goes out of warranty, possibly as soon as next year so I don't have a full four years to get any extra supplies (they give you a certain number of extras because the insertion cannula can kink or go bad for various reasons, but if they don't you end up with a small surplus). If I switch insurance companies, I will have to start getting the insertion sets and cartridges that hold the insulin every three months under the new insurance, with an unknown copay amount.

I'm leaning towards sticking with the old pump, but then again, it's an important piece of my body and I hate the idea of giving up features that would work better for me for four years.

Thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    Is the new pump new in general or new to you, as in, if it's brand new are there 'kinks' to work out? I dunno, if it were me I'd stick with the old pump if it's not causing you any issues, but I don't like change. I had a pre-Siri iPhone 4 until like 3 months ago.

I say wait until next time to get a new one when you know your new insurance status.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm usually one to get the new and latest and greatest. But I think having a stock pile is important if you could be losing tricare in the near future. Outside insurance is a bitch.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Is the new pump new in general or new to you, as in, if it's brand new are there 'kinks' to work out? I dunno, if it were me I'd stick with the old pump if it's not causing you any issues, but I don't like change. I had a pre-Siri iPhone 4 until like 3 months ago.

I say wait until next time to get a new one when you know your new insurance status.
    The new one was new when I got mine four years ago, and that's exactly why I didn't go with it at the time, but I think the kinks are worked out now. I am the same way with phones! I hate changing

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I'm usually one to get the new and latest and greatest. But I think having a stock pile is important if you could be losing tricare in the near future. Outside insurance is a bitch.
    That's what I'm afraid of! My hospital signed me up for a program that helps people with my disease with copays for their prescriptions, and I didn't really want to sign up because I was literally doing it just to pay for my vitamin d supplements and they were like "just do it anyway, it's only $15,000 in help" and I'm over here like who the fuck has $15,000 worth of copays in one year?!" apparently everyone not on Tricare with my disease. Great.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    The insurance I'm under with just the kids and I, our yearly cap is in the $11,000. So it's pretty feasible. Just from this pregnancy I can see how people easily reach the deductible and yearly cap.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member
    Holy shit, $15000???? I'd keep the stockpile. My god.
  7. Regular Member
    Yea, I was 100% in Camp New Pump under the philosophy that your health and the ease/efficacy of managing your condition are certainly worthwhile investments to make...but $15k...

Do you have any way to get a sense of what your deductible and copay might look like under your future insurance? Is it going to be through your current employer? If so, is there an HR person you could sit down with who could walk you through the options (if they offer more than one) and at least give you a ballpark idea, even if it will be a little outdated by the time you transfer over?