Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: LIFE AFTER AIT. Pls help a newbie out?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

LIFE AFTER AIT. Pls help a newbie out?

Advertisements
    Hi everyone!

My friends husband finished AIT at Fort Lee, VA. He is now at Fort Hood, TX at reception for 10 days.
    And my husband is in Fort Gordon, GA and he will be graduating Oct 7.
    So here are my questions:

1.) My friends husband who is in reception was not able to go in the barracks because ONLY single soldiers are able to stay at the barracks. Why is that? and why can't they accommodate him just cause he is married? Will this same situation happen to my husband (IDK where's his station yet though)?

2.) My husband is about 2 months away from graduating AIT, and I've been wondering why he hasn't been "cleared" yet for dental. He said there's a lot that they need to fix in order for him to be cleared. With classes 5x a week, is he able to fix his teeth in time to be cleared so he can get his orders before he graduates?

3.) I know while you are in AIT you get to choose to stay whether staying on-post or off-post. I'm sure my husband chose off-post, will it be possible to change to on-post just in time before he graduates so he won't experience arriving at his new duty station and not be accommodated just cause he is married and he can't stay in the barracks?

Sorry I'm really confused because my friends husband is experiencing hardship finding a place just cause Fort Hood cant accommodate married soldiers. So it's overwhelming me because I don't want my husband to experience what my friends husband is experiencing.

Thank you all so much in advance for your advises and help!!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You can't compare two different careers. You'll quickly learn that although there is supposed to be a standard and a protocol things differ greatly between bases and commands.

To answer your questions 1. They aren't going to let him stay in barracks because the military is paying BAH for him to have a house. You're provided one or the other, not both unless schooling is involved. Since he's now at a duty location, not AiT, his family should be arriving. 2. Dental appointments will be made when/if there is time. If he can't get them between classes he will probably be held afterward to have it completed if it's an issue that will stop him from moving. 3. AIT is training, he should be living on post in barracks. If you're talking about when he moves to his first duty station he should be able to decide what he wants when he gets there in most cases.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm a little confused by your post. But I'm guessing your friend's husband couldn't get a barracks room because he his getting BAH (Basic Allowance Housing, because he is married. So the military is already paying him money to use for a house. They are not then going to provide a second home for him for free. If he's getting the housing allowance, it doesn't seem like it should be a hardship as he's given money for rent and utilities. Is his wife still living somewhere else?

For question three, are you talking about choosing to live off base (and get a housing allowance) instead of live on base or in military housing (not all of which is on a base/post)? Are you planning on moving to live with him? Even choosing to live in military housing is no guarantee they will have something for him the day he arrives. Many housing locations have wait lists (some up to two years!, although that's somewhat unusual). In these case, you can stay in a hotel or vacation rental, and use your BAH to cover that if it is only going to be weeks or a couple months. Or you can rent an apartment and move out when you get offered a house (make sure you read the lease carefully and consult the JAG (military lawyer) to make sure you would be able to break the lease with no penalty, if that's what you choose).

Basically, they either provide him with a home (one his family can live in, too) or they give him money so he can find that himself. Sometimes, even if you want the former, there is nothing available so you have to get the latter, at least short term. But a place to live is always provided for, either with money or an actual home. And almost always, they aren't going to provide two places to live (barracks room and housing money) because that would be a waste of taxpayer money. If you guys choose to live separately, that's a private decision and not one the government will fund.

Hopefully I understood your question and your and your friend's situation correctly!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbella View Post
    Hi everyone!

My friends husband finished AIT at Fort Lee, VA. He is now at Fort Hood, TX at reception for 10 days.
    And my husband is in Fort Gordon, GA and he will be graduating Oct 7.
    So here are my questions:

1.) My friends husband who is in reception was not able to go in the barracks because ONLY single soldiers are able to stay at the barracks. Why is that? and why can't they accommodate him just cause he is married? Will this same situation happen to my husband (IDK where's his station yet though)?

2.) My husband is about 2 months away from graduating AIT, and I've been wondering why he hasn't been "cleared" yet for dental. He said there's a lot that they need to fix in order for him to be cleared. With classes 5x a week, is he able to fix his teeth in time to be cleared so he can get his orders before he graduates?

3.) I know while you are in AIT you get to choose to stay whether staying on-post or off-post. I'm sure my husband chose off-post, will it be possible to change to on-post just in time before he graduates so he won't experience arriving at his new duty station and not be accommodated just cause he is married and he can't stay in the barracks?

Sorry I'm really confused because my friends husband is experiencing hardship finding a place just cause Fort Hood cant accommodate married soldiers. So it's overwhelming me because I don't want my husband to experience what my friends husband is experiencing.

Thank you all so much in advance for your advises and help!!!
    #1 Like PPs said, he's getting BAH (based on location and rank) the cover monthly rent because he is married. Single service members do not rate BAH so they have to live in the barracks. (Ask any single service member and they'll tell you the married SMs get the better end of that deal) He can stay at a hotel until he finds a house/apartment, or he could stay with friends (a lot of people do that). But as the military sees it, they don't have to provide him a room when they're already giving him a big chunk of money for rent every month.

#2 I'm surprised they didn't do his dental at boot camp. I remember DH had a "dental day" where they fix any issues (they would even pull wisdom teeth there). What's your husband's dental issue? He needs to let his instructors know he has to go to dental so he can get cleared. They should give him time for that.

#3 I also need clarification. So are you asking about living on/off base at AIT or on/off base at his first permanent duty station (PDS). If it's for his PDS, he can decide to live in military or civilian housing at any time. Living on base won't guarantee there's no wait though. We've had to wait 6+ months for a house. In some base neighborhoods there is no wait.

Do you know where he's going? You can call their base housing office to see what the neighborhood wait times are. Or, start looking for rentals in that area. Depending on location rentals can be either easy or extremely difficult to come by. If you're at a location where you can easily rent off base, then there really wouldn't be much of a wait to move in. We've gone house hunting, signed a lease, and moved in all within a couple of days.