Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TMI, Question about pedicures

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

TMI, Question about pedicures

Advertisements
    Fair warning, in case you're feet squeamish.

For the past 15 or so years, I have worn flipflops (or barefeet) 99.9% of the time. If I must hike or go to the gym I will put on real shoes.

I've only had one pedicure in my life, seven years ago for my wedding. Fast forward to now and my feet are fairly hard/rough with a perma-stain from my black flip flops. I'm told I have "pretty feet" regarding shape or whatever, but I don't do any care or maintenance other than like, toe nail clipping.

My question is, I am about four or five weeks out from my best friend's wedding and we're going to get pedicures again. What can I do between now and then to make them semi-presentable to whoever has to do my pedicure? It's not an embarrassment thing, I just want to make it as not gross as possible for them because they don't deserve my years of foot neglect in their face

I've thought about soaking them in warm water, but that's as much I as I could guess to try and help with the dead skin/callous build up and unevenness.

Side notes in case it matters: I've never been able to feel my feet, and I do have type one diabetes but it's very well controlled and I don't have diabetic neuropathy according to the sadistic nerve conduction test
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Use a pumice stone in the shower (at the end) on the soles of your feet. Get a foot lotion, a thick one, and slather it on before bed then put on some socks you don't care about to keep all the lotion on your feet when you sleep. Those are the things that really help me in the summer when I wear sandals all day.

LUSH has a foot care line and I like their peppermint foot lotion a lot.
  3. Senior Member
    I wouldn't go too banana sandwich with them, a lot of the things they have like the "pedi egg" that are well.... like cheese graters for feet, I don't think would be safe if you can't feel your feet.
    epsome salt bath perhaps? beyond that, I'm sure they see crazy feet all the time.
  4. Senior Member
    I haven't tried it but they sell this baby foot stuff, I think they're little acid booties that make all the dead skin peel off over the course of like a week or so. I'm waiting until after I can tolerate not wearing sandals for a bit before I try it but I'm very intrigued, it looks totally disgusting.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Use a pumice stone in the shower (at the end) on the soles of your feet. Get a foot lotion, a thick one, and slather it on before bed then put on some socks you don't care about to keep all the lotion on your feet when you sleep. Those are the things that really help me in the summer when I wear sandals all day.

This.

I hate the feeling of lotion on my feet so I'll also slather my heels in lotion then slightly Saran Wrap it a couple times as well.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    This.

I hate the feeling of lotion on my feet so I'll also slather my heels in lotion then slightly Saran Wrap it a couple times as well.
    both of these.
    Also, lotion and aloe moisturizing socks.

7. Senior Member
    The pedicure people have seen way, way worse than whatever you have going on.

The suggestions in this thread are good, but if you want your feet to look great for the wedding, I'd go get a pedicure now. Sometimes with stuff like grinding off calluses, they can't do it all in one session.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I haven't tried it but they sell this baby foot stuff, I think they're little acid booties that make all the dead skin peel off over the course of like a week or so. I'm waiting until after I can tolerate not wearing sandals for a bit before I try it but I'm very intrigued, it looks totally disgusting.
    It's so nasty. I can't even tell you. I did not do one but saw one used by a friend and omg. Nasty. Just nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    The pedicure people have seen way, way worse than whatever you have going on.

The suggestions in this thread are good, but if you want your feet to look great for the wedding, I'd go get a pedicure now. Sometimes with stuff like grinding off calluses, they can't do it all in one session.
    I second this. Pay the $35 and go get one now. It's worth it and then you can enjoy the one with friends.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Thank you all so much for the answers! I think I will go get one in the next few days to prepare. I've managed to get the stain off most of my feet, just have it still on my heels