Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Navy officer vs. Air Force officer - how'd it change your life as a SO?

1. Senior Member

Navy officer vs. Air Force officer - how'd it change your life as a SO?

Advertisements
    The Hubs is considering joining either the Navy or the Air Force as an officer. His parents were both Navy officers, his sister's in the Army Reserves, the people who raised me were Marines... but our parents were military 30 years ago. I'm assuming things have changed since then. Hubs has a BS as a mechanical engineer.

I'm curious to hear from spouses of Navy or Air Force officers (especially if your spouse went into aviation!) on a few things about day-to-day life:

1. How did you adapt your career? I can work remotely as a consultant or teach online college classes, so hopefully that would disrupt a bit less.

2. How often did you have to move? I've heard anything from every 6 months to welp we've been here for 6 years now.

3. How did your pets handle the moving? I have a horse who has moved with me through college & to where we are now.

Thanks so much in advance. We're trying to use as much information as we can to determine if this would be a career path for him that we can adapt to. We're people who love travel, and my home is where he is. We currently live several hours away from family/friends, and have for some time. We know there's going to be places I can't follow. I know it's going to be difficult and a heck of a lot of work. I also know he's very serious about joining, but will not join if I'm not 100% on board as well.

(We have also contacted recruiters for both, but I'd love to hear from people who aren't necessarily trying to sell us something...lol.)
  2. Regular Member
    I'm newly married to a Naval Officer who has been in around 12 years. Who's family was also all military. We currently live separate since he will be deploying soon and it didn't make sense for me to move.

1. As far as careers go mine is pretty broad so I have the option to work in most field. I would think teaching would be different, but I'm sure another teacher on here could answer that.

2.So far in his career he hasn't had to move a lot. I think it all depends on which area he is stationed in and his position. DH was stationed in Norfolk for a few years on 2 different ships, moved to SC for shore duty and was here for 3 years and decided he wanted to go to the West coast. He will stay on the ship he's on for a year and a half and then most likely go to another ship in the same area. Our plans are to move back to the East coast after that.

The only thing I have noticed about the Navy is they deploy a lot more than the other branches and when he is preparing for a deployment he is underway a lot. My DH works long hours, but that has a lot to do with the position he is in.
    Of course I am still new at this so I'm no expert, but this is the experience I have had so far.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemysailor16 View Post
    I'm newly married to a Naval Officer who has been in around 12 years. Who's family was also all military. We currently live separate since he will be deploying soon and it didn't make sense for me to move.

1. As far as careers go mine is pretty broad so I have the option to work in most field. I would think teaching would be different, but I'm sure another teacher on here could answer that.

2.So far in his career he hasn't had to move a lot. I think it all depends on which area he is stationed in and his position. DH was stationed in Norfolk for a few years on 2 different ships, moved to SC for shore duty and was here for 3 years and decided he wanted to go to the West coast. He will stay on the ship he's on for a year and a half and then most likely go to another ship in the same area. Our plans are to move back to the East coast after that.

The only thing I have noticed about the Navy is they deploy a lot more than the other branches and when he is preparing for a deployment he is underway a lot. My DH works long hours, but that has a lot to do with the position he is in.
    Of course I am still new at this so I'm no expert, but this is the experience I have had so far.
    This statement just depends on the needs of the navy of that time and the commands. Like I said in another one of your post my husband has only deployed 1 time. Now he did work ups and all. That was in his first fleet command. He went on basically shore tour for the last 4.5 years and did't do a lot of travel but when he did it wasn't long either. Now we are back in the fleet and he has long hours due to a higher position and more responsibilities and he will deploy but should only be 1 official deployment others are just needs of the navy as far as getting ships their quals and all but nothing more than 7 months. We have friends who have the same job on a different coast and he deployed more than my husband.

I can't answer 1. since at the beginning of our marriage we moved often due to schooling. And I didn't already have something prior to him entering since we got married over a year after he graduated college and i moved to TX when I graduated college for a few months before he had to move again.

As far as my pets...my dogs and my human pets have done pretty decent in their moves. My human pets are still very young so it wasn't hard at all. As far as a horse I know someone who moves their horse to the duty stations and had no issues. Actually I think they got Japan in the most recent department head orders and as far as what they will do, not sure since I haven't talked to them in a while. But I don't think they will take it with them.
  4. Senior Member
    You have no idea how happy I am to hear that someone else moved a horse. I had belonged to a generic forum previously, and had posted a question very similar to this. Got lambasted up and down for even "letting [my] husband consider joining the military".
  5. Senior Member
    I know there are people on here who have moved horses. I think the stress of an OCONUS move would be too much for me to bring a horse with us. I'm also unsure of ehat rules other countries have with importing horses.

I think a lot of these questions are not easily answered because there isn't a cookie cutter military experience. How much you move and where you go depend on so many factors.

As for going naval officer, my dh is trying to do the same, there are minimum requirements for GPA, age and OAR scores. I would first maje sure he meets these. The OAR is a test he has to take and it helps if his score is competitive, the aviation OAR is a little harder to my understanding. I would start with looking at what his options are as far as jobs given those factors.
    There is a pdf you can download with all the naval officer requirments and which jobs require what if you google naval officer gpa requirements it should be in the first page of results.
  6. Senior Member
    As far as the requirements - he meets all academic requirements, and is currently debating which study book he wants to buy. Obviously when we talk to a recruiter, that's going to be the first thing we verify...but as far as what requirements are posted, he's good to go. I know time periods are going to vary wildly, but that's why I'm asking - to get a feel of it from real people.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I know there are people on here who have moved horses. I think the stress of an OCONUS move would be too much for me to bring a horse with us. I'm also unsure of ehat rules other countries have with importing horses.
    That is one stipulation I have - horse does not move overseas.
  8. Senior Member
    Husband is a pilot.

1. How did you adapt your career? I can work remotely as a consultant or teach online college classes, so hopefully that would disrupt a bit less.

I had no problem adapting until we moved overseas. Third overseas tour in a row, and my career is absolutely dead and may never recover. That's a painful reality, but I wouldn't change a thing.

2. How often did you have to move? I've heard anything from every 6 months to welp we've been here for 6 years now.

We went 9 years--4 sets of orders--in the same place. Since then it's been 2.25 years, 34 months, 8 months, and now on 31 month orders.

3. How did your pets handle the moving? I have a horse who has moved with me through college & to where we are now.

No pets, because of all the moves. We didn't want to subject a dog to all the overseas move, and to risk having to re-home him if sent to a place with size, breed, or other restrictions. I am desperate for a dog, but we know that it's been the right choice to hold off.

HTH!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My DH is a mustang (started enlisted and is now an officer) in the Navy. He works in the maintenance department for aviation. This particular command he's with now has Marine aircraft. As enlisted he was an AT which is an aviation tech so same field. His hours, length of orders, and deployment schedule really have not differed. Currently he's on 3 year sea/3 year shore rotation.

We have moved every 3-5 years. He's been in a squadron three times (twice on sea and now on shore), ship's company twice (both times stationed to aircraft carriers), and spent a shore tour at RTC as a RDC (drill instructor). He can retire at the end of this set of orders (3 years). He *may be able to stay here on sea which he wouldn't technically deploy but he'd be gone 200 days a year. His detailer penciled him in but we'll see when that time comes. But in 20 years he has done 6 deployments. There would have been a 7th but it got pushed back til he was no longer with that command. I couldn't even begin to count the underways and work-ups. A long time ago I was told to take the length of sea tour and divide it in half, that is how long he would probably be gone during that sea tour. And in 20 years, it's proven true for DH.

We have a dog and she does fine. We just moved cross country and DH moved her and his truck over first. She stayed here with friends til we came over with the kids. We made the move into a road trip so we knew it'd be difficult and hard on her since it took 10 days and it was really hot in some of the areas we were in. Some of the bases we have been at have had stables but I've honestly not really looked into them.

I've been a SAHM so I can't help with the career part.

How long he'll be at certain places and how often he'll deploy will just depend on what is needed, what the command's schedule is, etc. There really is no way to tell.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyspoonicus View Post
    As far as the requirements - he meets all academic requirements, and is currently debating which study book he wants to buy. Obviously when we talk to a recruiter, that's going to be the first thing we verify...but as far as what requirements are posted, he's good to go. I know time periods are going to vary wildly, but that's why I'm asking - to get a feel of it from real people.
    Has he looked in to the age limit as well? That's one thing that trips up a *lot* of people, especially because the limit is for when they are commissioned, which means finished with OCS, and it can take a year (or more, occasionally; or sometimes less) from submission of package after everything is completed and gathered to actually commissioning. And that's after working with the recruiter and taking the aptitude test and all that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast