Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Advice on changing your name - not all military related!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Advice on changing your name - not all military related!

Advertisements
    My now husband and I got married while he was back home after bootcamp. He had to go back for combat training soon after and took all of the information he needed to get me in the system as his wife (birth cert., Social, marriage license). If I change my name now will that mess anything up on their end?

Now for the non-military question!
    Does anyone have any experience legally changing their name when it's not completely marriage related? I am taking his last name, but I also am planning on changing my middle name. My last name is one that, as far as I have found, is unique to my specific family in the US. I very much want to keep it in my name, so I am replacing my middle name with my current last name.

My mother did the same thing when she married my father, but that was a while back and her experience was much cheaper and easier than it looks like it is now!

I live in Texas. From what I've been able to find out it's a very long and somewhat expensive process. Just wanted to see if anyone had any recent experience and had any tips!
  2. Senior Member
    You're given the option to maintain your current middle name or keep your maiden name as a middle name when you go to the social security office to change your name. It took like, 10 minutes for me to change my name.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Regular Member
    I just got married too and am still working out the name change. It certainly is a long process, but only some minor fees here and there.

The first thing you need to do is change it at the social security office and I don't know if it would mess things up for your DH. The first thing DH and I did was head to the nearest base to process me as his wife. I had done no name change yet, but on the documents, we wrote in my new married name. That didn't seem to be a problem and I was in the system with my military ID in an hour. Going by my experience, I would think that you would be ok with doing a name change now, but I wouldn't be certain.

When you do change it at social security, they do need a copy of your marriage license, so you would need to get another one if you don't already have one. There would be a fee for printing a new one at the courthouse. There is no fee for a new social security card when you change your name.

From there, you need to go to the DMV, your bank, and other important areas which will all differ in what documents they will require. There is a fee for a new driver's license, but it's not that much. That was the only fee that I ran into, but there could be other fees depending on where else you need to change your name.

In every place that I changed my name, there was an option to also change your middle name. There shouldn't be a different process for it. All you have to do is write what your old name was, and what you wish to change it to.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me
  4. Senior Member
    what about making them both your last name?
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    You're given the option to maintain your current middle name or keep your maiden name as a middle name when you go to the social security office to change your name. It took like, 10 minutes for me to change my name.
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie19 View Post
    I just got married too and am still working out the name change. It certainly is a long process, but only some minor fees here and there.

The first thing you need to do is change it at the social security office and I don't know if it would mess things up for your DH. The first thing DH and I did was head to the nearest base to process me as his wife. I had done no name change yet, but on the documents, we wrote in my new married name. That didn't seem to be a problem and I was in the system with my military ID in an hour. Going by my experience, I would think that you would be ok with doing a name change now, but I wouldn't be certain.

In every place that I changed my name, there was an option to also change your middle name. There shouldn't be a different process for it. All you have to do is write what your old name was, and what you wish to change it to.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me
    Thank you guys! I was not aware they gave the option to change middle as well when you get married. I have only been looking into how to do a legal name change unrelated to marriage. I'll stop by the social security office and try to start getting this all worked out.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    what about making them both your last name?
    Never been a big fan of dual last names or hyphenated last names for myself personally.
  7. Senior Member
    Not sure on the military name change question since I did the legal name change portion before our stop on base...but I had no problem changing my middle name to my maiden last name.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

You could have two middle names (given middle and maiden) with your married name as your last.

If you're changing for marriage/divorce they should be able to do anything you want. I think the only time there is a problem is if you're changing your first name or it's out of the blue (Not related to marriage/divorce) OR if it's over the limit of SS cards that can be issued.

I changed my last name a year after getting married since that was when I was in my home state (no issues) but that was ehh....seven or so years ago now so I might be remembering wrong.