Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Is it true? (PCS Question)

1. Senior Member

Is it true? (PCS Question)

Advertisements
    Is it true that if the military paid for a person's move from training school to their first permanent duty station that they won't pay for the service member's move home when they get out of the military?

This has been mentioned a few times on the local spouses pages. It was always my understanding that the military WOULD pay for the SMs move when they get out. Does anyone who has had both moves covered know the correct answer?

2. Senior Member
    UMMM as far as I know no. You have what is called an HOR move which you can use at any point in the time in the service to have things moved from your HOR to the current duty station and the weight limit is based on what rank/rate you were when entering the service.

As far as the move when getting out of the military is based on distance of the duty station to to the HOR or where you want to go. So example, We live in FL, DH is from OR. If we want to move there they navy will cover the cost. If we want to move to VA the navy will cover the cost. If we want to move to Hawaii they navy will only pay for the distance up to what it would be to OR....we would cover the rest.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    UMMM as far as I know no. You have what is called an HOR move which you can use at any point in the time in the service to have things moved from your HOR to the current duty station and the weight limit is based on what rank/rate you were when entering the service.

As far as the move when getting out of the military is based on distance of the duty station to to the HOR or where you want to go. So example, We live in FL, DH is from OR. If we want to move there they navy will cover the cost. If we want to move to VA the navy will cover the cost. If we want to move to Hawaii they navy will only pay for the distance up to what it would be to OR....we would cover the rest.
    It actually depends on how you get out, with where they will move you. My husband was medically separated and we got a move within the lower 48. We were in VA and they moved us to WI even though VA was our HOR.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    In most cases they will do one final move. If the member doesn't state where then it will be the HOR. In most cases it doesn't exceed the distance from current base to HOR, but in some situations it can, as mentioned from PP. Regardless of where the member ends up, they do get a final move out of the military.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Both of ours were covered.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I have never seen anything called an HOR move in the JTR or anything about a later move that is based on the rank/rate when entering the service. Do you have a reference?

When retiring from the military, the member chooses a Home of Selection (HOS) which can be a further distance than that from their current duty station to the HOR.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I have never seen anything called an HOR move in the JTR or anything about a later move that is based on the rank/rate when entering the service. Do you have a reference?

When retiring from the military, the member chooses a Home of Selection (HOS) which can be a further distance than that from their current duty station to the HOR.
    We had one done. We had one done several years ago. I can't remember what the poundage was maybe 10,000. He was academy so not sure if they based it off the midshipman rate or when he was commissioned. But we got a dinning room table, and all sorts of other things in the move. We were stationed in Jacksonville and he already had almost 3 years commissioned. All the stuff was coming from Oregon.