Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Navy Girlfriend

1. Regular Member

New Navy Girlfriend

Advertisements
    My boyfriend of 8 months left for boot camp. This is my first time knowing anyone in the military. I'm starting to make peace with with this but I'm still so lost about about a few things. I know he's at basic right now then he'll have graduation and go to "A" school. After that he'll have a few days home until he goes to his job. That's where I get confused. I feel like after he ships to his job I'll never see him again. It's so confusing to me. So if anyone could give me some advice that would greatly help. Thank you!
    Last edited by NavyGirl712; 07-16-2017 at 01:29 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. Senior Member
    when he gets orders how much you see him depends on a lot of things, such as what his job is (some have more free time than others, so visiting when he has to work may or may not be a good option), where he is stationed (state side is a lot easier to visit than Japan).
    A lot of us have at one point done a long distance relationship, which work if both of you want it to work.

what kind of advice are you looking for? My family is proof that LDRs can work, dh was in Japan for 3 years and San Diego for one while I stayed in Ohio. We are now married with a flock of children.

I am assuming you are pretty young (just because most guys join out of high school) so I would suggest focusing on your studies and meeting your goals, if things are going well after he gets orders, if they are stateside you can relocate to be closer to him if you want to.
  4. Senior Member
    You will still be able to visit each other! It might not be as often as you'd want thanks to busy schedules and the cost of plane tickets, but it is definitely doable for the right person
  5. Senior Member
    I feel like it actually gets easier to see them once they're out of training and actually allowed to take leave. You'll be able to visit and he'll be able to go see you. Once DH got to his permanent duty station it was like being at a 9a - 5p job, well more like 6a - 6p, but he's home for dinner and has weekends off (most of the time).

6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    when he gets orders how much you see him depends on a lot of things, such as what his job is (some have more free time than others, so visiting when he has to work may or may not be a good option), where he is stationed (state side is a lot easier to visit than Japan).
    A lot of us have at one point done a long distance relationship, which work if both of you want it to work.

what kind of advice are you looking for? My family is proof that LDRs can work, dh was in Japan for 3 years and San Diego for one while I stayed in Ohio. We are now married with a flock of children.

I am assuming you are pretty young (just because most guys join out of high school) so I would suggest focusing on your studies and meeting your goals, if things are going well after he gets orders, if they are stateside you can relocate to be closer to him if you want to.
    I 100% agree. DB and I are a newer couple so I didn't have to go through many of the trials of boot camp and initial training. I, too, am new to military relationships however I do know just from life experience that while he is away working on his goals, it is really important for you to continue to work on yours as well. I think one of the reasons why our relationship is and will be so successful because I have my own thing going on, so while he's away, I've got more than enough on my plate and as a couple we support each other 100% in achieving our personal goals.

Also, welcome to the board!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post

We have been apart for multiple deployments, TDY and now he is living in NC and I'm in Ohio (long story but there must be something in the Ohio water)

If you both work at it, it works out just fine.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post

We have been apart for multiple deployments, TDY and now he is living in NC and I'm in Ohio (long story but there must be something in the Ohio water)

If you both work at it, it works out just fine.
    just can't escape! pulls us back every time :/