Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dinner at the CO's house

  1. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #1

    Dinner at the CO's house

    Advertisements
    My husband's CO has invited all the SNCOs and their spouses over for a BBQ and drinks.
    This is my first time going to an event like this. Should we bring a dish or wine? My husband didn't get much info on it.
    TIA!




  2. Senior Member
    Margot31's Avatar
    Margot31 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    896
    #2
    When is the event? I would see if he can get more info prior to making any decisions. Generally speaking in the past we bring beer to share or something like that. Food is only based on if they ask if it said pot luck.
  3. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #3
    It's Friday
    He only found out on Monday at work. They had the last few days off for the holiday and he goes back to work tomorrow.




  4. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #4
    Do you have phone numbers for anyone else invited? I would ask what they are bringing if you do. I would show up with no less than a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer, like I would at any BBQ/hosted event.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #5
    You can't go wrong with wine or beer. The only reason I would steer away from bringing a dish is maybe they already have the food taken care of or its being catered. Maybe a potted plant or nice bouquet of flowers? Whenever I host (non-military) it's nice to receive something like that. DB would have shown up empty handed, so you will definitely be doing better than that.
  6. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Do you have phone numbers for anyone else invited? I would ask what they are bringing if you do. I would show up with no less than a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer, like I would at any BBQ/hosted event.
    No none of the other spouses I know from the unit have husband's who are invited.

    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    You can't go wrong with wine or beer. The only reason I would steer away from bringing a dish is maybe they already have the food taken care of or its being catered. Maybe a potted plant or nice bouquet of flowers? Whenever I host (non-military) it's nice to receive something like that. DB would have shown up empty handed, so you will definitely be doing better than that.
    I think I'll just bring drinks lile y'all have suggested.

    I asked DH earlier if it's going to be catered since there are around 40 SNCOs plus their wives/husbands. He has no clue




  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #7
    I second the drinks or flowers. They're nice gestures that *shouldnt* step on any toes.
  8. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #8
    Yikes. I would try really, really hard to have him find out if it is a potluck. If it isn't, show up with a bottle of wine or some other hostess gifts (flowers, cute kitchen towels, etc.). If it is a potluck and you only show up with wine, that's sort of... uncomfortable. If your DH truly won't ascertain whether it's a potluck, maybe this is neurotic, but I'd likely bring a potluck dish of some kind and have it in the car, and if you walk in and hand the host the bottle of wine, and you look around and see it's a potluck, you go back to the car and bring in your bowl of pasta salad. That may seem crazy, but no way would I want to accidentally show up to a potluck empty handed.

    Really, all your DH has to do is ask the CO or the CMC (or whatever the ranking enlisted person is) "Is there anything IRBHiking and I can bring tomorrow?" and he'll either be told "nothing", in which case you bring a host gift, or "bring a dish to share", in which case you bring a potluck item (and maybe also a host gift, if you want).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yikes. I would try really, really hard to have him find out if it is a potluck. If it isn't, show up with a bottle of wine or some other hostess gifts (flowers, cute kitchen towels, etc.). If it is a potluck and you only show up with wine, that's sort of... uncomfortable. If your DH truly won't ascertain whether it's a potluck, maybe this is neurotic, but I'd likely bring a potluck dish of some kind and have it in the car, and if you walk in and hand the host the bottle of wine, and you look around and see it's a potluck, you go back to the car and bring in your bowl of pasta salad. That may seem crazy, but no way would I want to accidentally show up to a potluck empty handed.

    Really, all your DH has to do is ask the CO or the CMC (or whatever the ranking enlisted person is) "Is there anything IRBHiking and I can bring tomorrow?" and he'll either be told "nothing", in which case you bring a host gift, or "bring a dish to share", in which case you bring a potluck item (and maybe also a host gift, if you want).
    Yes to all of this. If you don't know any of the spouses attending I would make sure he finds out. Or...be the crazy with the cookies/pasta salad in the car.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    katiebee's Avatar
    katiebee is offline
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,982

    #10
    I would definitely bring a bottle of wine for the hosts... and threaten your husband with death threats if he doesn't confirm with the CO if it is or is not a potluck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •