Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need graduation tips!!!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Need graduation tips!!!

Advertisements
    Ok in 2 weeks my fiancé is graduating basic training. Can any one who has experienced family day/ graduation know how some one should dress. What to wear/ what NOT to wear. And if you know any good online or regular stores to shop at. How the day is, what should I expect? Is heels good or bad idea? Lol and any etiquet tips? Please and thank you!!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Rule of thumb for ceremonies is basically business casual. Not too short, not too much cleavage, nothing vulgar or see through. A sundress or slacks/jeans and nice top are fine. As for heels, as long as you can walk in them for long distances go for it. He won't be able to show PDA in uniform. Don't expect to hold his hand while you walk or get kissed every 2 minutes. And just be respectful and follow his lead.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks so much! I just knew about dressing decent but I always dress that way anyways.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monseemona20 View Post
    Ok in 2 weeks my fiancé is graduating basic training. Can any one who has experienced family day/ graduation know how some one should dress. What to wear/ what NOT to wear. And if you know any good online or regular stores to shop at. How the day is, what should I expect? Is heels good or bad idea? Lol and any etiquet tips? Please and thank you!!!
    What branch? What state is the graduation in and is it outside?

I used to say wear church attire. Then I attended an outdoor basic graduation ceremony in the *100+ Texas heat. Most people dressed casual (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops), and some people dressed nice. Just don't wear club clothes or pajamas and you'll be fine. There were probably over 2,000 people there so no one will be paying attention to how you're dressed (unless you come in pasties ).

So I've been to Air Force and Marine family day and graduation and they had a lot of similarities and differences. Family day for both branches the service member couldn't leave the base and had to be back by a certain time. If you plan on getting lunch and don't want to wait in line forever then make a reservation at one of the base restaurants they suggest in the info packet. After graduation they're usually able to leave the base. My husband (Marines) was able to come home with us for 10 days. My friend (Air Force) was not allowed to leave town, had to stay in uniform, and had to be back at certain time that night.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Some elegant dress will be cool, my girl has been wearing one during her graduation ceremony. But remember it's not a prom but a elegant and mature situation.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacky View Post
    Some elegant dress will be cool, my girl has been wearing one during her graduation ceremony. But remember it's not a prom but a elegant and mature situation.
    uh... I wouldn't go ball gown....
    Like pp said, church attire
  7. Regular Member
    Definitely church attire...& comfortable shoes! Sooooo much walking haha
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacky View Post
    If by "elegant dress" you mean something formal or cocktail, no. For dresses, something more like a sundress or "Sunday best" is appropriate. Anything formal or cocktail is not. This is more of a business ceremony than a formal thing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    thank you all! i found the perfect and I did take into consideration the walking, ill definitely be taking comfortable shoes.