Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: And so it begins

1. G05
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

And so it begins

Advertisements
    So I'm completely new at this whole military thing. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 2 years now. He just recently left for basic training and it's been 2 weeks so far. I'm doing my best to be positive about all of this but I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything. I'm really struggling with the fact that from here on out our time is so limited with each other and I'm worried our relationship will wither. Advice for starters please?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G05 View Post
    So I'm completely new at this whole military thing. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 2 years now. He just recently left for basic training and it's been 2 weeks so far. I'm doing my best to be positive about all of this but I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything. I'm really struggling with the fact that from here on out our time is so limited with each other and I'm worried our relationship will wither. Advice for starters please?
    Have you started getting letters yet? It starts to get so much better when you're finally able to communicate with each other again... even if it is through snail mail.

My husband (then boyfriend) and I were long distance for a year from boot camp to when he arrived at his first permanent duty station. NGL, long distance was hard; but people have done it for a lot longer and things ended well for them. Once your SO finishes his MOS training he'll be able to take leave and you'll be able to visit.

Try to take things day by day instead of focusing on how little time you'll have together during his enlistment. You can do this.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It's been years since I was a MILSO but writing letters when I was happy/sad/excited...insert whatever emotion really...helped get me get through the distance. Spend time with friends, family, hobbies, school, work, whatever is your cup of tea to fill up time.
  4. G05
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Have you started getting letters yet? It starts to get so much better when you're finally able to communicate with each other again... even if it is through snail mail.

My husband (then boyfriend) and I were long distance for a year from boot camp to when he arrived at his first permanent duty station. NGL, long distance was hard; but people have done it for a lot longer and things ended well for them. Once your SO finishes his MOS training he'll be able to take leave and you'll be able to visit.

Try to take things day by day instead of focusing on how little time you'll have together during his enlistment. You can do this.
    I have not received any letters yet. I have read articles about people that have received them after 2 weeks and some that received that after 4 weeks. Now starting the 3rd week, I'm hoping to see one in the mail soon. (Fingers crossed)