Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH Diff

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

BAH Diff

Advertisements
    Hi there, husband who is active duty army and I are facing divorce. I have spoken with legal and they have told me he will always receive BAH with because of out two children. However he spoke with his legal since he is not stateside at the moment and they told him he will only get BAH diff because he resides in government quarters. Is this true? Everything I have found is that he will get bah diff because he is paying child support. But if that is the case does child support come out of his check before he gets it and does it come from his base pay check? I don't believe him or anything he is saying but we are trying to file online without involving lawyers, however it's due to years of lying and infidelity that we are getting a divorce. So his word means nothing to me. Please help.
  2. Senior Member
    In most cases I've seen the child support will be taken out of his check before he even receives it. If not and he doesn't pay the child support all you'll have to do is contact his command.
  3. Senior Member
    I would again highly suggest, as others have as well, getting a lawyer. It sounds like he will attempt to screw you if you don't. This forum is great for many things, and there are even legal experts, but you need to get a lawyer. Fact. I'm sure he doesn't want to get lawyers involved, he has a lot at stake, the more help you get, the more of a threat to him you are. He is going to tell you what he wants you to believe to manipulate you into doing what he wants. I wouldn't entertain the idea of going about it without a lawyer.
  4. Senior Member
    From Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Frequently Asked Questions

34. What is BAH-Diff?

BAH-DIFF is the housing allowance amount for a member who is assigned to single-type quarters and who is authorized a BAH solely by reason of the member's payment of child support. A member is not authorized BAH-DIFF if the monthly rate of that child support is less than the BAH-DIFF amount. The BAH-DIFF amounts, originally calculated in 1997, are updated annually based on changes in the Basic Pay tables. For more information contact your servicing finance office or consult JTR, par. 10008.

35. I am divorced with children, what is my BAH allowance?

It depends on whether or not you have legal and physical custody of your children, pay child support, and/or live in single-type Gov't quarters. If you have legal and physical custody of your children, then you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not assigned adequate family-type Gov't quarters. If your former spouse has custody and you are paying adequate child support (at least in an amount of your BAH-DIFF rate) you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not in Gov't quarters or BAH-DIFF if assigned single-type Gov't quarters.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    From Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Frequently Asked Questions

34. What is BAH-Diff?

BAH-DIFF is the housing allowance amount for a member who is assigned to single-type quarters and who is authorized a BAH solely by reason of the member's payment of child support. A member is not authorized BAH-DIFF if the monthly rate of that child support is less than the BAH-DIFF amount. The BAH-DIFF amounts, originally calculated in 1997, are updated annually based on changes in the Basic Pay tables. For more information contact your servicing finance office or consult JTR, par. 10008.

35. I am divorced with children, what is my BAH allowance?

It depends on whether or not you have legal and physical custody of your children, pay child support, and/or live in single-type Gov't quarters. If you have legal and physical custody of your children, then you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not assigned adequate family-type Gov't quarters. If your former spouse has custody and you are paying adequate child support (at least in an amount of your BAH-DIFF rate) you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not in Gov't quarters or BAH-DIFF if assigned single-type Gov't quarters.
    Basically. And yes, it should come out of his check automatically; he will never see it. Definitely contact a lawyer. If your DH is going to be difficult, which it sounds like he is, there is going to likely be no way to do this without lawyers. I'd advise to just use them from the start and save yourself from an even longer difficult battle.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Overseas stationed or overseas deployed?
    But get a lawyer.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Overseas stationed in Italy